Program Officer - Housing & Economic Development
- Job posted by Local Initiatives Support Corporation
Local Initiatives Support Corporation
POSITION TITLE: Program Officer – Housing and Economic Development
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt / Full Time
LOCATION: Los Angeles, CA
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 38 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $20 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. These investments have leveraged more than $50 billion in development activity and helped families and communities raise their standards of living. LISC investments impact the lives of nearly 7 million Americans.
Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 31 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco. Our rural programs make an impact in 44 states, and are supported by LISC’s talented and dedicated workforce. Visit us at www.lisc.org
Los Angeles LISC provides grants, loans and equity for strategic investments in community development organizations and emerging neighborhoods. We commit to working with community groups over a long period of time, providing them with consultation and training in addition to financial support to help these organizations – and the residents they serve – prosper as they improve their communities. In Los Angeles, LISC and its affiliates have invested over $750 million in nonprofit and local developers resulting in the creation of over 9,543 new homes and apartments and 1.8 million square feet of commercial, industrial, and retail space.
The Los Angeles LISC office of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) seeks a professional to fill the position of Community Development Officer. This position reports to the Los Angeles LISC Executive Director.
- Underwrite all types of real estate transactions including pre-development loans, construction loans, commercial and community facility transactions, small business enterprise loans, tax-exempt bond and low-income housing tax credit transactions including financial modeling and presentations to CDC/Developer Partners.
- Manage key relationships with public and private partners. Work closely with City, County and State partners in the development of projects.
- Provide technical support and resources to client community development corporations and private entrepreneurs seeking lending products to develop affordable housing and other types of real estate including the preparation of applications and documentation necessary for debt and equity financing, government subsidies, and rental contract maintenance.
- Work in cross functional teams under deadlines with private and nonprofit real estate developers, attorneys, governmental agencies, lenders, equity investors and title companies to structure and close transactions.
- Work closely with National Equity Fund acquisition/underwriting staff in structuring potential LIHTC transactions within generally accepted funding guidelines.
- Work closely with New Market Support Corporation in structuring potential small business lending transactions.
- Work with LISC LA team members on initiatives such as CDC staff capacity building, organizational development and the development and implementation of new financing programs.
- Coordinate with National Equity Fund’s Asset Management Team on the management of CDC real estate transactions and loan and investment portfolios.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required; graduate level education is a plus.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in community development, affordable housing development, housing policy or economic development are required.
- Strong underwriting experience.
- Familiarity with the Greater Los Angeles area market. Working knowledge of the economic, political, and social environments of the Los Angeles area, especially lower income neighborhoods, organizations, and community development efforts also strongly preferred. A demonstrated interest in and commitment to the revitalization of low and moderate-income urban/ rural communities.
- Experience in Bond and LIHTC underwriting, loan restructuring, and construction underwriting.
- Knowledge of government financing programs including LIHTC, HUD Section-8, NMTC as well as Greater Los Angeles regional and California State financing programs.
- The ability to work collaboratively with coworkers and representatives from the nonprofit, corporate, philanthropic and public sectors.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends, best practices, creative financing techniques and other community development indicators. Converts industry standards to local conditions.
- Capacity to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and projects, set priorities for a challenging workload, and be a positive, solution-oriented professional.
- Excellent writing, financial analysis and verbal communication skills required.
- Compensation: Competitive salary, excellent benefits. Please send cover letter and resume via email with "Program Officer” in the subject line to:
- Tunua Thrash-Ntuk, Executive Director
- Local Initiatives Support Corporation
- 500 South Grand Avenue, 23rd Floor
- Los Angeles, CA 90071
- No phone calls please
- LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Compensation: Competitive salary, excellent benefits. Please send cover letter and resume via email with "Program Officer” in the subject line to:
Tunua Thrash-Ntuk, Executive Director
Local Initiatives Support Corporation
500 South Grand Avenue, 23rd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071
No phone calls please