Details: $25 - $30 per hour
11 Inman Street
About Food For Free
Food For Free is a Cambridge-based, non-profit organization dedicated to providing the
Greater Boston community with reliable access to fresh and nutritious food. Food For
Free accomplishes its mission through food rescue, partnerships with schools, colleges
and traditional food organizations, and our own direct service programs. In 2017, Food
For Free distributed more than two million pounds of nutritious food to more than 30,000
people throughout Greater Boston.
We are a casual yet professional organization. We value team, community, transparency, collaboration and enjoying our work and interactions. We’re seeking to expand our leadership team and build out our HR and Finance infrastructure.
Food For Free has experienced significant growth over the past 6 years, increasing our budget from ~$400k to $1.3m, our staff from 9 to 20, and our overall program impact. We are looking for a Business Manager to join our leadership team and help guide the organization through its next stage of growth, strengthening our finance department and establishing a strong human resources framework.
Areas of Responsibility
- Working with the Executive Director and Treasurer, update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; create the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee; assess and implement any necessary changes
- Manage general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and depreciation; reconcile accounts, prepare trial balance, cash flow analysis, financial statements, quarterly and other reports as required
- In collaboration with Development Director, reconcile Quickbooks and our fundraising database at least quarterly
- Implement a robust financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the billing and payment schedule is adhered to and that financial data and support operational requirements.
- In collaboration with Executive Director and finance committee, research and implement savings/investment strategy
- Oversee Executive Assistant as her tasks relate to finance including payroll, invoicing, and bill payment
- Ensure compliance with all insurance and healthcare requirements
- Working with the senior leadership team, develop and implement new HR processes to include employee goal setting, compensation and benefits, and performance evaluation
- Research market pay scales and help implement internal pay-scale policies
- Research, propose, and implement additional employee benefits, including 401k or 403b
- Ensure compliance with labor regulations
- Liaise with external IT support when issues arise
- Research and propose additional IT support options
- Work with Executive Assistant to maintain IT infrastructure (new laptops and additional needs)
- At least seven to ten years of overall professional experience; ideally five-plus years of financial and/or HR management experience
- Commitment to social justice, and food justice in particular
- Personal honesty and integrity
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability and willingness to challenge existing systems and propose and implement change
- Desire to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Experience with QuickBooks Pro
- Knowledge and experience with best practices in human resources and finance
- A high level of organization and time-management skills
- Ability to attend finance committee meetings which may be early mornings or evenings
This job is 12 - 20 hours per week, negotiable.
2 weeks vacation year one, 3 weeks vacation years 2 and 3, four weeks vacation Years 4+
Part of this postition includes implementing a 401k/403b
Minimum Education Required