135 North Mission Road
The Promesa BH Director for Community- Schools (CS Director) is a strategic thought partner responsible for executing the coordination and alignment of resources within the Community School team to achieve the Promesa Boyle Heights school transformation goals for each of our target schools. The CS Director must work to create a high performing Community School team where staff feel supported, connected and equipped to successfully support our schools, students, and families in Boyle Heights. The role of the director is complex and requires a dynamic person who can effectively implement a vision as well as navigate and interconnect multiple systems to achieve success for kids and families. The CS Director plays a leadership role in helping us ensure that students graduate ready for college, careers, and lifelong success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Ensure successful management and operations of Community-School model
● Hire, onboard, train, coach, and supervise Community School staff, including the Senior Coordinator for College & Career Initiatives, Lead Community School Coordinator, English Learner Coordinator, 3 Community School Coordinators, and others. The CS Director will lead successful implementation and evaluation of our community school approach at our various school sites in Boyle Heights. The CS Manager reports to the Promesa BH Director and Steering Committee.
● In partnership with Promesa BH Director and Early Education Director, strengthen and develop management and HR systems in support of both the C-S team and the entire team.
● Work closely with staff and partners to ensure alignment of efforts, coordination and fluid communication of program activities, evaluation and decision-making.
● Ensure ongoing communication and alignment with Promesa BH Steering Committee, Promesa BH General Assembly, Proyecto staff, and other core partners.
● Manage the C-S team budget, core grant requirements, and develop reports and recommendations for improvements.
Implement and integrate evaluation and analysis systems
● Work with the Initiative Director and evaluation consultant to strengthen and develop systems to evaluate, collect and track community-wide and school-specific data.
● Develop, manage and execute data driven strategies to address needs of each of our CS initiatives.
● Lead systematic evaluation of program, activity and event effectiveness.
● Utilize positive youth development resources to improve student outcomes, foster leadership development, and implement effective academic and wellness supports for students and families.
● Support the team in collecting, reviewing and analyzing student data to develop new strategies and plan for continuous improvement of existing interventions.
● Develop systems to ensure timely creation of reports to various stakeholders to articulate the team’s goals, objectives, and impact- including yearly State of Boyle Heights reports for residents and partners. Communicate data results to a wide audience with variable research experience and expertise.
Develop cross communication and cross training to strengthen partnerships
● In partnership with Lead Community Schools Coordinator and other staff, develop a structure for communication, coordination, training and other learning discussions with core partners;
● Participate in coalitions and develop relationships to build awareness of the systems-level priorities identified in relation to the community school model and approach;
● Provide regular updates to Steering Committee, General Assembly, core partners, and allies regarding progress of achieving performance measures and other financial and evaluation data
● A minimum of 7 years of work experience working with schools, youth, and/or nonprofit organizations and at least 5 years of experience supervising a team of at least 4 full-time paid staff. Candidates with less than 7 years of experience or no staff supervision experience will not be considered;
● A bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree strongly preferred. Other comparable work experience will be considered;
● Fluent Knowledge of community-school models, organizing, coalition-building, restorative justice, staff management, youth development, and evaluation is highly preferred;
● Proven adaptive leadership abilities including an encouraging, motivating presence to help with conflict management, team building, goal-setting, prioritization and strategic planning;
● Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team;
● Ability to exercise balanced judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions, and to handle difficult or confrontational situations in a calm, consistent, and equitable manner;
● **Must be a licensed driver with reliable transportation and ability to meet organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements;
● Commitment to social justice and community empowerment;
● Experience managing dynamic projects, supervising teams, and reporting on large grants;
● Knowledge and understanding of school systems and college to cradle and career strategies;
● Must be computer literate and have experience working with Microsoft Office, data analysis software, and social media;
● Able to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends;
● Licensed driver with reliable transportation and ability to meet organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements;
● Interested in someone that can start immediately and can commit to the position for at least two years.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit, talk, hear, and type- at times for extended periods of time. The employee will also occasionally be required to stand, walk, and drive. The employee will occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Promesa Boyle Heights is a passionate collaborative of residents, youth, schools, local organizations and public/private institutions working together to realize a vision where: 1) every child has an opportunity to learn, grow and succeed from cradle through college and career; 2) families can live a stable, healthy and fulfilling life; and 3) every individual is empowered to act and create a more just and interdependent community. For more information, visit: www.promesaboyleheights.org
Work Environment: Promesa is a community-led, progressive, and innovative collaborative in Boyle Heights. The Promesa BH staff strives to maintain a high degree of trust, team spirit, and energy while working to build community power and capacity. While employed by Proyecto Pastoral, the CS Manager works closely and is also accountable to the Promesa Boyle Heights General Assembly and Steering Committee and the partner schools.
Proyecto Pastoral is a founding Steering Committee member and the backbone organization for the Promesa Boyle Heights collaborative. Proyecto Pastoral at Dolores Mission was founded in 1986 by community residents and the California Province of Jesuits. It has grown into a highly effective community - building organization. Proyecto Pastoral is committed to involving local community members in the planning, design and implementation of its programs. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 2,500 children, youth and families annually through its five programs. For more information, visit: www.proyectopastoral.org
**Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer. Women, LGBTQIA and people of color are encouraged to apply. Spanish-speaking ability, experience working in nonprofits, and/or Boyle Heights lived experience is a BIG plus.
Salary dependent on experience. Competitive benefits and vacation package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with minimum salary requirements and a list of at least 3 references to Promesajobs@proyectopastoral.org with subject line: Director for Community-Schools Application.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. We encourage interested applicants to submit as soon as possible since we are aiming for the first round of interviews to begin on September 12th.