Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Watch this video to learn more about Reading Partners.
The high level:
The Community Engagement Associate (CEA) is part of an energetic team of relationship builders working together to leverage Reading Partners’ mission in the community. The Community Engagement Associate’s main role is to support all volunteer recruitment, retention, training, and celebration efforts across our 27+ school sites in the region. Reporting directly to the Community Engagement Manager of San Francisco Bay Area, the Community Engagement Associate cultivates and manages partnerships that contribute to the overall volunteer recruitment goals for the region. The Community Engagement Associate leads and supports a variety of other volunteer recruitment initiatives including event planning, community visits, outreach calls, and more. The Community Engagement Associate is relationship-focused, is goal-oriented, and is excited by both higher level and on-the-ground work.
What you’ll do:
Each fiscal year, work collaboratively with volunteers and internal team members to contribute to the region successfully reaching or exceeding volunteer recruitment, retention, and training goals.
- Collaborate with Community Engagement, Program, and Development teams to recruit and onboard over 1,750 tutors.
- Help lead trainings and assist with onboarding and orientation for Volunteer Coordinators and Site Coordinators throughout the region, with support from the Community Engagement Manager and Program Managers.
Each fiscal year, execute on a comprehensive community engagement strategy to meet and exceed volunteer recruitment targets.
- Manage a portfolio of 20-40 partner organizations, ensuring that partners meet or exceed enrollment goals and that each relationship is optimized.
- Conduct targeted research efforts to develop new community partnerships for high need school sites.
- Attend events, conferences, and meetings to build and maintain community relationships and increase Reading Partners’ local presence.
- Plan and execute tutor engagement and appreciation events and activities.
- Ensure database records for all partnerships in portfolio are managed, maintained, and monitored in Salesforce and regional documents.
Positively impact all aspects of the volunteer experience by…
- Ensuring efficient and high quality onboarding of volunteers.
- Achieving at least 35% volunteer retention.
- Achieving a rating of at least 90% tutor satisfaction on annual survey.
Other duties as needed.
How you’ll do it:
Relationship Development & Collaboration:
- Leverage existing relationships and build new transformational relationships in the community. Establish highly collaborative cross-functional relationships, and work effectively with all internal stakeholders for both organizational fundraising and program delivery. Celebrate wins with all stakeholders.
- Externally, demonstrate the ability to genuinely promote Reading Partners and our mission through a variety of strategies. Provide excellent customer service to partners and volunteers. Have a high level of comfort with public speaking and with crafting mass communications. Be able to differentiate communication depending upon your audience.
- Internally, set up strong systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and contextualize messaging. Demonstrate a strong aptitude for effective communication, remotely and in person, with school and community stakeholders, and other Reading Partners staff. Be able to conduct difficult conversations with grace and ease.
- Create innovative solutions in the face of competition for resources, time, etc. with a high degree of adaptability and flexibility. Anticipate challenges and/or questions, and proactively execute solutions. Understand larger strategic priorities and make measurable progress against these larger goals. Be able to make quick, sound, and on-the-fly decisions that consider all stakeholders. See the bigger picture and also drill down to smaller details to connect the dots.
Leadership & Management:
- In collaboration with the CEM, support the recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and delivery of high-quality training to AmeriCorps members and volunteers. Support our emerging national network of community engagement staff. Demonstrate a strong ability to manage up to supervisor and across teams.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the San Francisco Bay Area social justice community organizing landscape, and demonstrate familiarity with the education field.
- Have 2+ years of progressive experience in customer service, marketing, client management, community organizing or similar field
- Have experience with public-speaking, presentations, or trainings for diverse audiences
- Have direct management experience of volunteers, interns and/or emerging professionals
- Have database management experience and high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Have access to reliable transportation to travel within a defined geographic region on a daily basis
- Have flexibility and adaptability in work style and work schedule, including some night and weekend time
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent prior experience
- Can prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Root your work in our core values
Bonus Points if you:
- Have experience working in the launch phase of projects or programs
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
What we offer:
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, non-exempt, hourly position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know:
- Travel: This position is based out of the Oakland Office and requires regular travel throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your compensation needs.
At Reading Partners we respect and honor the diversity in our workforce, and we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.