TRP’s Community Wealth Building Pillar builds financial empowerment and lays the foundation for economic vitality so individuals and business owners can directly invest in the community and have a visible stake in its destiny. Individuals and families are placed on the path of financial stability through financial coaching, home purchase counseling, homeownership education, and foreclosure prevention. TRP was recently designated as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI).
General Job Description
The Homeownership Advisor is an experienced housing professional with a commitment to affordable housing and social justice. He/she is responsible for assisting homeowners and prospective homebuyers through the homeownership process by providing one-on-one housing counseling, homebuyer education, and access to affordable mortgage and financial products. The Homeownership Advisor assists with the implementation of activities within TRP’s Full Circle Homes initiative.
The Homeownership Advisor is a member of the Full Circle Homes team and works with other staff to further TRP's mission through the promotion of financial capability, sustainable homeownership, and wealth building.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide individual homeownership and financial counseling which will include a comprehensive financial assessment for pre-purchase, financial capability, and foreclosure prevention.
• Conduct affordability analysis, including a review of credit, debt, savings, and income, and guide households on establishing a strong household budget.
• Develop individualized financial/homeownership action plans that will assist clients in achieving their goals, obtaining, or preserving homeownership.
• Recruit community participants for one-on-one counseling and education in order to meet individual goals for number of new clients and homeowners created.
• Provide ongoing support and follow up with clients.
• Maintain knowledge of Federal, State, and other laws concerning housing, lending, and fair housing.
• Develop and maintain relationships and knowledge of programs with government agencies, local financing programs, and other community resources.
• Maintain accurate data in TRP’s client management system, Salesforce, to effectively track client and program progress; adhere to all guidelines related to confidentiality of files and records.
• Coordinate with other Full Circle Homes and TRP staff to offer additional complementary and needed services.
• Cultivate, manage, and expand relationships with participants, leaders, TRP member institutions, and partners to promote and further TRP's Full Circle Homes goals and organizational mission.
• Maintain required job skills, core professional competencies and certifications.
• Attend and participate in required educational programs and staff meetings.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
• Associate degree in a relevant field of study is preferred or three years’ experience in housing counseling, community development, finance, real estate sales, social work or related field experience required.
• HUD Certification required within 6 months of hire.
• Ability to deal calmly with clients who may be distressed and/or highly emotional.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish required.
• Highly motivated and demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a diverse team.
• Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to listen well, convey thoughts clearly, speak in public, and work effectively as a team member.
• Strong knowledge of mortgage lending and loan products and ability to provide guidance on mortgage lending products and local down payment assistance programs; knowledge of the Illinois foreclosure process a plus.
• Excellent analytical, writing, and organizational skills with the ability to work well under pressure, multi-task, and meet established timeliness and goals.
• Demonstrated skills in facilitation, relationship building, and collaborative planning.
• Ability to communicate thoughts and ideas effectively and to effectively interpret general policy, criteria, and procedures for specific situations as it relates to financial wellness and education services.
• Technical skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Internet, Zoom, and data systems like Salesforce required.
Special Working Conditions and Demands
• Willingness to work flexible hours as needed; evenings and weekends required.
• Access to a car, valid driver’s license, and ability to travel within the metropolitan area and sometimes out of state.
Position Classification - Full-Time, Exempt
Statement of Equal Opportunity
The Resurrection Project is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation (including gender identity), military status, disability, language (any language use not related to job duties), or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please send resume and cover letter by email or mail. No phone calls please.
TRP’s Community Wealth Building Pillar builds financial empowerment and lays the foundation for economic vitality so individuals and business owners can directly invest in the community and have a visible stake in its destiny…
Bilingual in English and Spanish required.
Bilingual in English and Spanish required.