650 Townsend Street Suite 435
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 70,000 member schools use our ratings and curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are seeking a digital engagement and advocacy manager to help determine the strategy for and lead the tactical execution of building the Common Sense member base across all digital platforms. This person will pay particular attention to converting new members via our web properties and improving the engagement of existing members via email. This person will also play a critical role in developing search engine marketing and search engine optimization tactics, improving member acquisition through social media, and exploring acquisition through other digital channels as the situation dictates.
The person in this role will have ample opportunity to pitch and develop new tactics, campaigns, and ideas for acquiring new members across all channels and for delivering engaging, relevant content to our members in email.
The digital engagement and advocacy manager will assist in conceiving, creating, and executing occasional digital fundraising campaigns aimed at Common Sense members. She or he will act as the primary membership liaison with our product and engineering teams and help lead the implementation of new and updated digital experiences for members and subscribers. The manager will work with all programmatic areas of the organization, including consumer, education, and advocacy.
The digital engagement and advocacy manager is expected to work cross-functionally with members of the marketing, product, editorial, education, advocacy, social media, design, and video teams to achieve success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Digital Projects and Campaigns
- Digital projects:
- Cross-organizational education about membership and advocacy campaigns, plus internal distribution of relevant content.
- Brainstorm cross-channel campaigns to encourage new member sign-up, both in coordination with other organizational initiatives and as stand-alone efforts.
- Manage and oversee digital content calendar for membership and advocacy campaigns.
- Develop new subscription executions/creative in partnership with PostUp.
- Develop and build landing pages for multiple use cases including member acquisition, event registration, user education, and more, using native pages and Classy as required.
- Assist in creating and producing online fundraising pages and adding fundraising elements to existing campaigns where appropriate.
- Using Optimizely and other tools, test layouts, copy, and creative elements to improve conversion on landing pages and subscription points, and work with product to codify winning results.
- Oversee content on website.
- Become the in-house Marketing Cloud expert.
- Write, build, QA, and deploy email sends including weekly newsletters, stand-alone announcements, and more.
- Develop, administer, and monitor A/B tests.
- Conceive and build email streams ("journeys") to programmatically:
- welcome new members to Common Sense.
- use highly relevant content to get new members to return to the site.
- introduce them to additional areas of our work (i.e., get movie review readers to read parenting advice, parents to read about our work in schools, educators to advocate on behalf of our policy efforts, etc.).
- Identify areas of digital need and potential improvement and liaise with product department to address.
- Be the point of contact for landing pages/acquisition elements in broader organizational campaigns.
- Assist with strategic integration of age/stage entry points into site and email as determined.
- Define metrics and KPIs for campaigns.
- Manage lists, audiences, and segments in Marketing Cloud, Salesforce, etc.
- Measure campaign and overall membership success through a combination of Google Analytics and Salesforce data.
- Develop and improve membership reports and dashboards in Salesforce and Marketing Cloud as needed.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ
- Bachelor's degree or three-plus years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with Salesforce/Salesforce Marketing Cloud strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with Optimizely, Google Analytics, and/or Google AdWords preferred but not required.
- Experience with acquisition marketing in multiple digital marketing channels, including but not limited to email, search engine marketing, search engine optimization, and social media.
THE X FACTOR
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, and highly collaborative.
- You are organized and able to shift quickly among multiple projects.
- You have a great sense of humor.
- You are willing to try new approaches and risk failure to gain insight and achieve ultimate success.
- You value long-term solutions over quick fixes or inflated metrics.
- You are deeply inspired by the mission and goals of Common Sense.
WHAT WE OFFER
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required