Womankind works with survivors of gender-based violence to rise above trauma and build a path to healing. By providing critical resources and deep cultural sensitivity, Womankind aims to help survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking, and sexual violence find refuge, recovery, and renewal for themselves and their families. We provide innovative healing services and award-winning assistance to individuals of all ages. Depending on circumstance, survivors have access to a safe place to live, assistance with housing, employment, English language training, legal immigration assistance, financial empowerment, and so much more.
Community education and outreach is critical for Womankind. Through outreach we are able to address issues that are often stigmatize in our communities, such as talking about abuse and trauma. We partner and engage with other professionals to collectively support survivors as well as offer our expertise to provide culturally-specific services. Through education, we help the community better understand the dynamics of gender-based violence. Additionally, through our advocacy efforts we are able to speak on institutional challenges and barriers that survivors face when they have to interface with them.
The manager’s primary responsibility is to inform survivors and the community about the dynamics and intersections of gender-based violence work as well as trauma. In order to do that, the manager will be responsible for developing and implementing an outreach plan. This will include engaging and educating staff and external agencies where prospective survivors might contact; informing the Asian community, fellow service providers and the general public of the agency’s mission, accomplishments, and current projects and services.
In addition to representing the agency at outreach and educational events, they will coordinate various events that other staff may attend. The manager will be responsible for training and providing staff with the tools necessary to attend events on behalf of the organization. They will play an instrumental role in the development of new and building upon existing agency materials. Likewise they will work with Womankind’s five remote sites on their respective outreach goals.
This role requires the ability to collaborate with various teams and programs in the organization. The ideal candidate will be able to problem-solve in a timely, appropriate, and professional manner as well as be comfortable to make difficult, calculated decisions. Because of the nature of the position, the manager must be flexible with work schedule, including working in the evening or weekend as needed.
- Inform survivors and the community about the dynamics and intersections of gender-based violence work and trauma
- Develop and implement an outreach plan
- Engage and educate staff and external agencies on Womankind and the work we do
- Inform Asian communities, fellow service providers, and the general public of the agency’s mission, accomplishments, and current projects and services
- Represent the agency at outreach and educational events
- Coordinate events
- Train and provide staff with the tools necessary to attend and lead outreach events
- Develop new and build upon existing agency materials
- Bachelor’s degree in related field is required, or at least 2 years equivalent combination of experience, education, and training
- Experience in providing training to groups and/or public speaking
- Highly knowledgeable in program and project management especially in non-profit setting
- Well-versed in gender-based violence field and/or working with the Asian community
- Ability to strategically think about the outreach and community education needs of the organization including understanding trends that are occurring in the 5 NYC boroughs
- Flexibility combined with the ability to multi-task; comfort working in a fast-paced and growing organization, while also driving toward clarity and solutions
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with a wide variety of internal and external constituents
- Strong and effective verbal and writing communication
- Fluency in an Asian language highly preferred
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in an Asian language highly preferred
Minimum Education Required