AmeriCorps Youth Programs Facilitator (Emerging Leaders Program)
- Job posted by Edu-Futuro (Educación Para Nuestro Futuro)
Details: This is an AmeriCorps position.
2110 Washington Boulevard
SERVE WITH AMERICORPS AND IMPACT THE LIVES OF IMMIGRANT YOUTH IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA!
Applications are now being accepted for Emerging Leader Program (ELP) Facilitators. ELP is a program designed to prepare under-resourced Hispanic and other immigrant youth for college and help them develop leadership skills through group and individual mentoring sessions.
ELP I is a multi-workshop program for high school students (primarily low income, minority, immigrants) that helps them develop the academic, professional and leadership skills needed for post-high school life. ELP II is year-long mentorship for high school seniors in which they receive one-on-one guidance throughout the college application, financial aid and scholarship process. Also, prepares them for a smooth transition from high school to college. ELP III ensures under-resourced youth in middle schools have access to quality STEM enrichment and develop interests in STEM professions.
Core Responsibilities: Under the supervision of Edu-Futuro’s Youth Programs Coordinator, lead the organization and operation of ELP I and II in Arlington and Fairfax counties.
- Plan and conduct ELP I sessions three times a year, and ELP II and a STEM Robotics Club throughout the full academic year.
- Maintain and develop curriculum in coordination with Edu-Futuro staff.
- Plan and facilitate ELP I workshops on weekday evenings and Saturdays to help students develop the academic and leadership skills needed for higher education.
- Serve one-on-one with ELP II high school seniors (ELP I graduates) to coach them through the college and scholarship application process on a weekly basis, during the full academic year.
- Coordinate monthly ELP II workshops with partner colleges and universities.
- Plan and conduct workshops for parents of ELP students; topics include financial aid, scholarships, and college options.
- Facilitate an after-school STEM Robotics Club for middle school students.
- Organize youth events, such as community service activities, field trips, college visits, and graduation ceremonies.
- Maintain and report accurate participant and volunteer data (attendance, progress, completion), and keep track of program’s expenses for meals and supplies.
- Assist ELP marketing and outreach efforts.
- Recruit students, mentors, and volunteers.
- Engage established and new community partners in supporting ELP activities, including middle and high school administrators as well as college admissions’ staff.
- Facilitate ELP STEM Robotics Club Facilitator and the overall functioning of ELP programs.
AmeriCorps General Responsibilities
This AmeriCorps program called Moving Forward! is a partnership between CASA de Virginia (CASA), and Edu-Futuro, established to deliver comprehensive services of citizenship support, financial literacy education, connection to health/social services, and youth leadership development in Northern Virginia.
Members work together on planning community service and other events and participate in regular team activities (meetings, training, reporting, and evaluation activities). They are also responsible for promoting AmeriCorps throughout their service.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ELIGIBILITY
- Available full-time (1700 hours; approx. 36 hours/week) from on or about September 4, 2018 to on or about August 31, 2019.
- Must be able to serve 2-4 evenings/week and Saturdays during the delivery of the Emerging Leaders Programs.
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Passionate about teaching/mentoring as well as serving the immigrant community.
- Excellent English & interpersonal skills.
- Foreign language proficiency a plus.
- Access to a car required. Service activities are conducted throughout Arlington and Fairfax counties.
- Living allowance per year: $13,732
- Local travel reimbursement for service-related activities.
- Health insurance.
- Potential for reduced priced housing in Arlington, VA (pending qualifications).
- Professional development and networking opportunities.
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award which can be used towards student loans and/or to help finance higher education pursuits upon successful completion of service.
- Student loan forbearance or deferment.
- Gain skills and valuable experience to prepare you for a career after-service.
- A great work environment.
- Make an impact in underserved communities!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to Paola Sandoval-Moshenberg, Director of Programs at email@example.com or apply on our website at http://edu-futuro.org/join-our-team/
Moving Forward! AmeriCorps Program is funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service and is contingent upon funding approval.
Moving Forward! Shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers, selection of vendors, and provision of services.
Edu-Futuro is a drug-free workplace. The unlawful manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance or marijuana is prohibited and action will be taken against employees violating such prohibition.