About the Organization
New American Leaders (NAL) is leading a movement for inclusive democracy by preparing first and second generation Americans to use their power and potential in public office. Headquartered in New York, NAL is a national, nonprofit organization. We have a strong track record of recruiting and training New Americans of diverse race/ethnic backgrounds to run for public office. We also work with New American elected officials across the country who are at the frontline of creating transformative policy environments for educational, economic and political equity.
Now, we are seeking a creative and detail-oriented individual to join our team as Special Projects Manager.
About the Role
This is a key, respected role designed to partner with the President & Founder. You will serve as a “right hand”, providing confidential administrative support, acting as the primary point of contact for internal and external communications, and executing exciting special projects across a range of areas. Working both frontline and behind the scenes, you will make a significant impact on the people you support as well as on the entire organization.
You will have a unique opportunity to work closely with a dynamic social entrepreneur and coordinate with the development and program teams on a range of activities, including marketing and communications and event planning.
This role requires outstanding professionalism and discretion, organization and attention to detail, energy and initiative, the ability to deftly multi-task and a willingness to work on a wide variety of projects and tasks. You will have access to the President’s network of people across multiple sectors and exposure to the full array of functions in the organization.
Executive Support (30%)
- Handle all requests for meetings and appointments, scheduling or redirecting
- Assist in developing staff meeting agendas in consultation with senior team
- Coordinate travel and create agendas that allow the President to focus on high impact activities during trips
- Generate expense reports for reimbursements and perform bank reconciliations for President’s expenses
- Serve as critical liaison to the President, providing guidance and maintaining confidentiality
- Take a proactive role to increase the productivity, efficiency, and organization of the President’s office, ensuring that her time is focused on accomplishing the organization’s highest priorities
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the president informed of all critical issues
Media and External Relations (30%)
- Support President’s external relations by preparing briefings and background for meetings and follow up
- Prepare President for speaking engagements and press by conducting research and preparing briefings
- Support the President’s/organization’s public relations, coordinating as needed with external consultants and print and broadcast journalists
- Assist the President with social media needs such Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary
Special Project Management (40%)
- Project manage and support implementation of special projects needed to ensure NAL’s success, e.g. book campaign, special events
- Support various internal and external projects to ensure that deadlines are met and goals accomplished, e.g. office relocation or staff retreats
- Passion for serving immigrant communities and building a multiracial democracy
- Minimum 3 years experience in a role with similar responsibilities, preferably in a in a high-growth organization
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Capable of “managing up” to ensure deadlines are met and projects remain on track
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and capacity to liaise with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Creative and strategic perspective
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and complete visionary goals
- Willingness and availability to travel for work when required
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, GSuite, Facebook and Twitter
Minimum Education Required