Who We Are:
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate (the Institute) is dedicated to educating the public about our government, invigorating public discourse, encouraging participatory democracy, and inspiring the next generation of citizens and leaders.
The Institute is seeking outgoing and enthusiastic candidates for a part‐time Visitor Services Associate. This position has a range of functions including, but not limited to: greeting visitors and groups; explaining and selling admission tickets; providing answers and recommendations about exhibitions, and special events; conducting visitor surveys; operating the Gift Shop and answering phones.
Reporting to the Visitor Services Manager, the Visitor Services Associate must have good verbal communication skills and be able to interact professionally and courteously with visitors in a variety of spaces within the Institute. Candidates must be available both weekdays and weekends during Institute operating hours. The Visitor Services Associate will be scheduled to work shifts that fall within the following timeframes: Tuesdays through Sundays 11AM‐5PM. Candidates with experience in one or more of the following fields: customer service, retail, phone work, education, communication or museums is preferred. Some evening hours to cover the Gift Shop during evening programs may be necessary.
- Greet guests in a cheerful and welcoming manner.
- Handle sales transactions quickly, efficiently and accurately.
- Maintain a neat, professional appearance and workspace at all times.
- Provide high‐level customer service to Institute visitors.
- Responsible for accurate handling of all monies in your charge.
- Understand visitor purchases and visitor merchandise requests to discuss and recommend additional Gift Shop stock with the goal of increasing sales.
- Cultivate atmosphere of teamwork.
- Operate Institute phone lines with professionalism.
- Maintain a well‐informed, working knowledge of the Institute’s exhibitions and services.
- Stay informed of all current Institute promotions and discounts.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality policies regarding the Institute, including visitors, security, staff and life safety incidents.
- Other duties as required.
The Ideal Candidate Possesses:
- Proficiency in the use of Point of Sale systems.
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with great attention to detail.
- Cash handling experience.
- An ability to relate well with the public.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- An ability to be a supportive team player and work well in collaborative capacities.
- The physical demands and work environment described for this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Duties are performed indoors in an office/workstation environment. Duties may require extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, talking, hearing, and long periods of computer viewing. The job may also require periods of pulling/pushing items, lifting and carrying items, stooping, and kneeling. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the title "Visitor Services Associate” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. EMK does not retain external search firms. No solicitation calls will be entertained.
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for The United States Senate is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.