Details: Depends on Experience
District of Columbia
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This is a position that supports the national media team at Earthjustice whose job is to create and respond to media opportunities that cut across the organization’s multiple program areas. The media team is led by the National Media Strategist, and supported by this position along with a Bilingual Media Strategist.
The Media Associate helps manage and triage media queries, and researches media outlets to help identify and leverage opportunities in consultation with other communications staff. This person also monitors, tracks and compiles media data, creates media monitoring reports, and maintains media contact lists. This person posts press releases to the website and assists with social media coordination on breaking news. This person may draft blogs and press releases, talking points, and media outreach content. The Media Associate gets exposure to a wide range of media platforms and environmental topics and will learn about the various elements of a successful media strategy first-hand. The media associate may conduct research that will be used to prepare pitches involving national issues, breaking news and cross-cutting issues. The media associate may develop pitches to reporters, editors and producers, and assist in the preparation of messaging narratives and documents that will be used for preparing messaging for interviews with media and for talking points.
- Works with the National Media Strategist and other members of the Earthjustice national media team, which includes the bilingual media strategist, to staff and support a wide variety of media outreach strategies and respond to media queries as they develop.
- Staffs external and internal media requests and redirects and tracks them as needed.
- Tracks and compiles media-monitoring data, creates media-monitoring reports, and maintains media lists and contacts for the media team.
- Updates media lists to ensure old contact information is removed and new contacts are added.
- May help coordinate with and support regional media strategists.
- Drafts press releases, talking points, blogs and media outreach content as needed.
- Posts press releases to the website, distributes releases, and may help with social media coordination on breaking news, including drafting language to facilitate social media posts.
- Helps monitor media coverage to flag potential media opportunities as they arise.
- If above responsibilities allow, may take on special projects related to media. opportunities for Earthjustice or the production of media-friendly content for the website.
- Assists with posting and distributing press releases and list building for crisis communications when the organization speaks out on issues of national relevance.
- Develops relationships with media contacts.
- Prepares and delivers media pitches as needed, particularly on cross-cutting issues.
- Monitors and coordinates communication between producers and Earthjustice staff for media interviews.
- Monitors media landscape including editorial and technological developments and helps media team develop strategies to take advantage of new platforms and tools.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Political Science, or Marketing preferred.
- Some experience with media relations/landscape preferred.
- Outstanding organizational and multitasking skills.
- Some experience pitching media and preparing news releases.
- Excellent data organization and workflow management skills.
- Outstanding written communication skills.
- Ability to manage a fast-moving workflow.
- Some familiarity with the media landscape.
- Social media experience and skills, especially Twitter.
- Some experience using multimedia communications tools.
- Excellent Excel and spreadsheet skills.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.