National Campaign Director
Details: This is a full-time position, with occasional evening or weekend work schedules based on need. salary commensurates with experience
District of Columbia
WE ACT for Environmental Justice is seeking to deepen an existing network of environmental justice organizations with other public health and social justice allies to strengthen and amplify the Environmental Justice Movement’s resistance at the state, and national levels to the Trump administration’s growing authoritarianism and its efforts to remove all policies that protect people of color, and other vulnerable communities from environmental degradation and public health harm. Our two-year strategy to fight and win in the Trump era includes three tactics: rapid-response campaigns to stand with communities under attack, issue advocacy to win state-level progressive victories, and winning power in the 2020 elections to position our agenda for 2020 and beyond.
WE ACT for Environmental Justice is seeking a National Campaign Director to support these three tactics, helping us grow and mobilize an alliance of EJ organizations and other people of color led groups across the country. The National Campaign Director will also help build out our distributed campaign capacity by teaching our volunteer leaders how to use our distributed campaign tools more effectively.
The National Campaign Director will report to the Deputy Director and will work collaboratively across WE ACT for Environmental Justice’s impact team (including Communications, Organizing, and other DC staff).
Are you an experienced campaigner who wants to use persuasive calls to action, gripping storytelling, and first-rate tactics to help us win? Are you passionate about ladders of engagement, online-to-offline activism, and empowering volunteers? And are you a great writer and project manager who values collaboration and building relationships? If so, read on!
Here's what you'd do in this job:
- Run high impact and creative national campaigns from soup to nuts (e.g. seeing news break and formulating a response, drafting the action alert and website copy, building the emails and the landing pages, checking analytics, coming up with next steps, partnering with allied organizations, etc.)
- Provide support and training for small to mid-size EJ organizations and others with limited staff using our distributed digital organizing tools to grow local lists and run effective rapid response actions.
- Identify opportunities to engage WE ACT for Environmental Justice’s supporters by monitoring news and developments on our priority issue areas.
- Collaborate with Communications, Organizing, DC, and Development staff to coordinate campaign goals, develop campaign concepts, and produce content.
- Use analytics to optimize online campaigns and content for bigger impact.
- Create resources for partner EJ organizations and allies to amplify national campaigns as needed.
- Build relationships and strengthen partnerships with ally organizations, and community members to support priorities.
- Design and coordinate national and local convenings, trainings, and strategy sessions to build power and impact of campaigns.
- In collaboration with the WE ACT for Environmental Justice team and national networks, lead the national campaign strategy. Assess possible campaign objectives, targets, partners, and strategies. Build the capacity and vision for national campaigns. Carry out strategic planning, research, actions, and other tactics to advance campaign goals.
- Assess impact of campaigns, collect lessons learned, and continually improve our campaign methodology.
- Work with vendors, consultants and contractors as needed.
You could be great for this job if you have:
- A minimum of two years' experience in national campaigning or related fields.
- Experience developing campaign strategy and content for issue-based, advocacy, or political campaigns; familiarity with a range of online campaigning tools and tactics.
- Excellent writing skills with experience in creative, compelling prose that can move people to act; with good attention to detail.
- Knowledge of trends in the political sphere, and of best practices for communicating via email, Facebook and Twitter.
- Proficiency using digital systems to manage content and relationships, with a preference for experience with NationBuilder.
- Demonstrated connections to leaders in the national social justice and environmental justice movements.
- Knowledge of national social justice or environmental justice campaigns.
- Knowledge of basic HTML.
- Creativity, flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to environmental justice, social justice, to the values and goals of WE ACT for Environmental Justice, and to working at a values-based organization with a high emphasis on mutual respect and intentional workplace culture.
Although not required, a strong candidate may have some of the following:
- Project management experience and the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Familiarity with NationBuilder.
- Experience managing social media content for organizations and storytelling on social media platforms.
- Experience with distributed organizing tools.
- Experience managing networks, coalitions, and organizations with limited capacity.
- A record of building effective partnerships or coalitions with advocacy and/or activist groups.
- An understanding of the policy and political landscape around environmental justice and social justice.
- Active involvement in social movements that work to support environmental justice, racial justice, economic justice and/or protecting our democracy.
Medical benefits include; Health, Vision and dental. Pre-Tax metro contribution is an available option
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish speaking, writing, is a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume along with a writing sample to the Director of Administration & Human Resources at email@example.com. Please note phone calls will not be accepted.
We especially encourage people of color, queer, trans and gender non-conforming people, and people directly impacted by criminalization and other systems of oppression to apply.