80 Hanson Place
ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
Each year WITNESS reaches 1 million people with videos, guides, tip sheets and strategies that help human rights defenders and activists unleash the power of video to protect and defend human rights. Our Library is home to over 180 training resources in more than 20 languages, and we’ve seen how crucial this guidance can be to help activists preserve visual evidence, keep themselves safe, and use video for justice. But as more people around the world turn to their cell phones to film abuse and demand change, WITNESS faces a monumental challenge: how to support them, even from afar, to use video technology safely and effectively.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The External Relations Department is committed to growing WITNESS’ brand and support globally, raising significant resources to expand our reach and drive greater impact at the intersection of video, technology, and human rights. This is a unique opportunity for a highly motivated, self-starter who is looking to grow in a fast-paced development team.
The External Relations Associate provides administrative support to the team and assists all aspects of individual philanthropy, playing a critical role in engaging and increasing WITNESS’ network of funders and advocates. The Associate will help drive all vehicles for engagement including implementing annual fund campaigns, coordinating events, conducting research and managing our new leads system, processing donations and acknowledgement letters, maintaining the CRM system, and keeping lists and moves management interactions up to date.
What you will do:
Individual Philanthropy, Events, and Engagement Support
- Support the implementation of the overall External Relations strategy including moves management, events, travel and special projects, operations, research, and communications;
- Develop, implement, and track creative, consistent, and effective strategies to deepen our partnerships and expand donor networks;
- Coordinate fundraising and cultivation events (including dinners, briefings, and panels) to raise WITNESS’ visibility and inspire, inform and grow various constituencies;
- Play a key role in donor strategies and management, including tracking moves; creating reports, acknowledgement letters and cultivation pieces; and ensuring consistent and engaging touch points throughout the year;
- Support donor engagement around the annual Focus for Change Benefit including coordination with sponsors and guests, conducting and coordinating research, developing outreach materials and messaging, and tracking fundraising efforts;
- Manage the administration of all gifts: processing, tracking and acknowledging gifts using our donor database; ensuring accurate and timely recording of all pledges, gifts, contact information and reports; and liaising with Finance;
- Coordinate annual fund and peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns;
- Manage and expand existing network of monthly donors;
- Handle and oversee major donor, new board, and corporate research;
- Keep up to date with trends and spaces relevant for WITNESS from a philanthropy and media perspective;
- Support the cultivation of corporate partnership and sponsorship outreach and strategies.
Institutional Content and Messaging
- Draft email and online updates as well as correspondence for the cultivation of major donors;
- Create External Relations materials and maintain resource database.
- Create, analyze, and maintain donor lists;
- Support Finance with the management payment portals as related to revenue;Provide departmental and administrative support to External Relations team.
Who you will work/communicate with: External Relations Manager, Director of Institutional Advancement, Executive Director, Communications team, Program team, Annual Fund Donors
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree and 2-3 years of experience.
- People and Project Management: You are a highly organized and effective project manager that loves spreadsheets, lists, and coordinating to get things just right.
- Communications: You are an excellent creative writer with strong copy-editing skill. You are comfortable communicating with external audiences and have strong interpersonal communication skills. Ideally, some experience with MailChimp or a similar email platform.
- Work Habits: You are a self-starter who is highly organized with superb attention to detail. You thrive in a face-paced, high-performance culture and have the ability to multi-task and troubleshoot when projects shift unexpectedly. You are reliable, energetic and motivated. You have good judgment and consistently meet deadlines. You enjoy improving systems, tracking the details and optimizing workflows.
- Skills: You are an expert in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and have experience working with Salesforce or another CRM. You have excellent project management and organizational skills with an eagle eye to detail.
- Human Rights/Advocacy: You are genuinely enthusiastic about WITNESS’ mission and have a basic understanding of human rights and/or video advocacy.
- You have strong analytical and budgeting skills;
- You have familiarity with managing websites and html, especially WordPress;
- You’re an effective team leader with the ability to execute on strategy, and guide, prioritize and motivate;
- You have experience with event planning and management;
- You are talented with visual media skills, such as graphic design or video editing.
- Not for Profit/Human Rights: Background in or passion for human rights and social justice – a plus.
Additional important information:
START DATE: Immediate
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
ADDITIONAL NOTES: Our Brooklyn office is conveniently located near Atlantic Terminal as well as 2,3 B,C,Q NYC subway lines.
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “External Relations Associate [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS. Be sure to include your writing samples, etc.