The Political and Community Organizer conducts outreach for the legislative, electoral, and community relations programs of Save The Bay and the Save The Bay Action Fund, building local engagement and partnerships. The Organizer advocates for Climate Change Resilience through acceleration of wetlands restoration and increase of fresh water flows to the Bay; and for Bay Smart Communities through policies that promote sustainable development, reduce Bay pollution and water consumption, and enhance access to the Bay shoreline for all.
The Organizer reports to the Associate Director for Policy and works closely with advocacy and communications staff. This position includes some evening and weekend responsibilities, and travel within the Bay Area.
- Develop grassroots action plans, constituent mobilization, and coalition-building strategies to support Save The Bay legislative and policy objectives.
- Organize grassroots lobbying efforts; coalitions; and other actions by supporters, partners, and allies for Save The Bay’s political and policy campaigns.
- Conduct research, reconnaissance, and outreach on Save The Bay Action Fund political campaign priorities.
- Serve as a primary contact with selected municipal, county, state, and federal elected officials and staff.
- Serve as the primary contact with organizations advocating for environmental quality and environmental justice; smart growth and sustainable development; affordable housing and public transit; neighborhood improvement; and open space preservation and access.
- Engage with strategic allies to advance shared priorities; participate as appropriate in community coalitions and campaigns.
- Help to develop print and social media content, recruit volunteers, and conduct other outreach and communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS required with knowledge of environmental policy and political organizing preferred.
- At least three years of experience leading and winning issue advocacy campaigns, with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Strong persuasive writing, research, editing, and public speaking skills.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary staff teams, developing and executing work plans, and facilitating meetings.
- Familiarity with Bay ecology and issues, agency and legislative processes, and community-based political programs.
- Experience working effectively with elected and agency officials, community leaders, environmental activists, and diverse groups of other stakeholders.
- Passion for Save The Bay’s mission.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; proven ability to work independently and to collaborate effectively.
- Valid CA driver’s license and clean driving record; clean background check.
- Proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Office, and Internet research applications required; proficiency with Salesforce and voter files (PDI, VAN, etc.) preferred.
Minimum Education Required