Details: competitive with benefits
35 West 124th Street
Harlem Village Academies
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban K-12 school model based on the principles of progressive education. Located in Harlem, HVA is also the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Progressive Educational Philosophy
We believe students learn best through experience, deep engagement and discovery. We want our students to be intellectually curious, creative, and independent. We want them to love learning, to be articulate and reflective. Students should spend their school days constructing knowledge, grappling with questions, and doing the intellectual heavy lifting, with teachers as adept guides.
As one of three College Support Counselor at Harlem Village Academies, you will work with a team committed to supporting students that are transitioning to and enrolled in college. You will ensure the highest levels of persistence and graduation from college. You will serve as a crucial guide and role model to your team and students, building close relationships that will inspire them to be their best and achieve their goals. You will support our alumni by implementing programs that meet their diverse needs.
Our ideal candidate is a smart, passionate, educator with an extraordinary ability to connect with, inspire and mentor young people. You are able to deeply understand the needs of young people and then collaboratively develop programs to address these needs. You’re great at helping students become more reflective and take ownership over their education. You’re genuinely warm and kind, and thrive on a dynamic team.
- Collaborate closely with the college access team to build a cohesive, coherent, and robust college access and support team
- Implement alumni initiative programs to serve all HVA alumni
- Identify metrics to measure success of the college supports program and continually evaluate and report on the effectiveness of the program using data
- Conduct one-on-one counseling and support for a caseload of students
- Help students navigate academic, financial, and life obstacles they encounter while in college (including, but not limited to: financial aid issues, school transfers)
- Establish and maintain partnerships with colleges and universities
- Support and promote the school’s culture, professional values and standards, and serve as a role model to alumni
- Maintain accurate data and tracking systems to reflect student progress
- 2-3 years of professional experience in alumni support or college counseling or other related work experience
- Ability to use data to inform practice, with a clear understanding of the metrics that lead to college success
- A team player, with a strong work ethic and consistent follow-through
- Exceptionally effective at building lasting and meaningful relationships with students
- Ability to develop and implement programs
- Experience building lasting relationships with students from diverse backgrounds
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience with Salesforce or other alumni data tracking tools
- Master’s degree preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
First, learn about us! Review our website and consider whether Harlem Village Academies is the place for you. If your skills and experience are a match for this role, please apply through the careers section of our website.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff.
Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.