546 East Main Street
Summary: Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, with a 50-year history of making a positive impact in Kentucky, seeks Public Benefits Paralegals for its Lexington and Morehead, KY based offices. The Public Benefits Paralegal counsels the elderly and other Medicare recipients in person and by telephone about public benefits, health and other insurance benefits; assists clients enroll in public benefits programs; recruits and train volunteers to supplement these services; conducts community education/enrollment events; and coordinates services with the organization’s staff attorneys.
- Work directly with the elderly and other Medicare beneficiaries to resolve their public benefits and health insurance problems.
- Investigate clients’ legal issues and represent them in Administrative hearings to the extent the representation is permitted under federal or state law. Prepare legal documents incident to the representation.
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteers to counsel the elderly and Medicare recipients on public benefits, and health and other insurance matters.
- Develop and implement a plan for community outreach and education about Public Benefits affecting the elderly or disabled.
- Maintain accurate and complete files and prepare timely and complete forms and records required for client services or related administrative tasks. Enter accurate data into electronic case management systems.
Requirements, Skill & Abilities include:
- Four-year degree from an accredited College or University or an Associate’s Degree in Paralegal or Legal Studies, or have equivalent experience
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate verbally and in writing and have a pleasant telephone demeanor.
- Must be able to travel within a 35 county service region.
- Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management and word processing software.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a non-profit law firm providing civil legal assistance to nearly 220,000 low income people in 33 counties from 4 offices located in Covington, Lexington, Morehead and Ashland. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’ legal practice is primarily in the areas of family law, domestic violence, government and VA benefits, and housing and consumer law. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and encourages professional development. The position is open until filled.
Qualified Candidates should send resume and statement of interest to Resumes@lablaw.org with the subject line Public Benefits Paralegal-Public Benefits Paralegal-Lexington or Morehead. Please indicate preferred office work location.
Minimum Education Required