Details: commensurate with experience
312 East 109th Street
between 1st/2nd Avenues
Major Gifts Officer (Corporations and Individuals) – Job Description
The Carter Burden Network seeks an exceptional individual with strong relationship building, account management, and leadership skills with expertise in securing donor meetings to build a portfolio of corporate and individual donors. Fundraising and/or relevant sales experience for the position of Major Gifts Officer (Corporate and Individual markets) is required. Reporting to the Director of Development, you will be a critical member of the Development Team, providing strategic direction and relationship building for the acquisition, renewal and maintenance of individual and corporate donors. This newly created role will focus primarily on cultivating new donor relationships and sponsor opportunities to secure expanded integral funding support. Additionally, growth and cultivation of our existing individual donors is required.
This is a critical and exciting time for the Carter Burden Network as the organization is in an expansion period that has significantly increased our programs, impact, communities we serve and operating budget.
The entire Development department will report to the Director of Development, who works closely with the Executive Director to maintain and expand existing relationships and establish new ones with major donors, corporate sponsors, foundations and other funders.
The Major Gift Officer is a newly created hybrid position that will identify, engage, cultivate, actively solicit, and steward current and prospective individual and corporate donors, in funding and/or expanding their financial support of the Carter Burden Network. He/she will be responsible for meeting an annual revenue target ($250k) by working with an assigned portfolio of current individual donors and aggressively identifying and cultivating all new corporate prospects (i.e., through Linked In Sales Navigator) to advance the mission of the organization. Corporate sponsorships are available through 3 key areas, our Carter Burden Gallery in Chelsea, corporate volunteer events and journal ads/tables at our annual gala held in November. The ideal candidate will have a “sales” mentality and aggressively build a robust pipeline of new funders, both corporate and individual, and enjoy being out of the office actively meeting with donors.
-Develop ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefit of CBN.
-Manage a portfolio of donors and acquire mostly new prospects that will identified by the MGO.
-Responsible for annual fundraising goal (at least $250,000 for the current fiscal year) as specified in performance standards.
-Implement programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors at the $1,000 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing new revenue sources for the CBN.
-Accountable for cultivating relationships for individual fundraising and organizational/corporate fundraising as outlined below:
- Cultivate relationships with individual donors personally and by supporting volunteer leaders in peer-to-peer outreach, creating a giving society as through a Major Gifts Program.
- Cultivate, solicit and steward support from corporations and corporate foundations to meet annual fundraising goals. This includes assisting corporations in achieving their corporate social responsibility goals in strengthening their brand, marketing, and employee engagement by being proficient at clearly articulating CBN programs, listening to corporations’ philanthropic needs and aligning programs/sponsorships to their interests, researching of corporate foundations’ interests and co-preparing grant proposals in partnership with Grants and Foundations Officer and Development Director.
- Develop and execute ongoing strategy for qualifying potential funders and moving them to prospect status using tools such as small cultivation events, research including Foundation Directory Online database and others, and community networking. Work collaboratively with Communications and Development Associate to develop marketing and donor communications/appeals to targeted donor segments.
- Personally develop and solicit a new donor portfolio, including preparation of personalized CBN materials when needed.
- Work with Board members/Development Committee and other leadership volunteers as well as Executive Director to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward appropriate donors.
- Work collaboratively with other CBN departments and partner with Development and Volunteer Services staff to create customized solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
- Develops/Updates donor records in Donor Perfect database, building a database of 200+ new corporate contacts that are viable leads to develop for our Corporate Partnership Program (“pay-to-play” model volunteer events) and Sponsorship of our Carter Burden Gallery in Chelsea.
- Manage event space rental inquiries for our Carter Burden Gallery in Chelsea through our new Peerspace.com online platform listing, give site inspections, collaborate with Gallery staff and attend booked events. Schedule flexibility needed to accommodate attending booked events up to 2-3 events per month.
- Meet with at least 2 prospective funders per week (150 annually).
- Utilize Donor Perfect database to record all fundraising activity, including adding new prospects, outreach contacts (calls, CBN site visits and donor meetings), pledges, etc. Build a pipeline of 250+ qualified corporate prospects.
Education: Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of 1 – 3 years’ experience working for a nonprofit organization in a fundraising capacity.
- Corporate and/or individual markets fundraising experience preferred and/or relevant sales experience for a person focused on transitioning into nonprofit fundraising.
- Experience working with community agencies, foundations and/or corporate foundations a plus.
- Strong writing skills are required.
Special Skills and Knowledge
In addition to the above-listed responsibilities and educational requirements, the ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all of the following:
- Confidence, creativity and maturity to establish credibility with and influence donors at all levels.
- Proven effectiveness as a fundraiser and/or sales business development professional in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of, and experience with database software packages, Donor Perfect a plus
- Energetic Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to create new ones.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
full benefits (paid by employer) and an employer matching thrift savings retirement plan
Minimum Education Required