Peoples Climate Movement California Climate, Jobs, and Justice Mobilization Coordinator
The Peoples Climate Movement (PCM) is looking to hire for the position of California Climate, Jobs, and Justice Mobilization Coordinator. This is a temporary position through September 30th, 2018 and will be responsible for managing and producing a mass mobilization in the tens of thousands of people in the Bay Area on September 8th. The ideal candidate will have experience in organizing mass-based events and/or actions, coalition building in multi-racial settings and with diverse partners and sectors, staffing volunteer workgroups and committees, building mobilization infrastructure, and managing logistics and large budgets.
Project Background:The mobilization will occur the weekend before the Global Climate Action Summit, a convening of global leaders taking place in San Francisco between September 11thand 13th, 2018. This summit is an official event being sponsored by the Governor’s Office. The goal of the summit is to lift up state and local action across the globe to address climate change and is expected to draw thousands of participants and global and national leaders. Over the past few months, PCM has been working with our partners and local community organizations to develop a plan for a mass mobilization the weekend before the summit that lays out what real climate leadership looks like and that would connect to both a global and national day of action focused on climate action rooted in racial and economic justice.
Job Responsibilities: The California Climate, Jobs, and Justice Mobilization Coordinator, working with local and national partners, will be the main staff person responsible for producing and managing the overall September 8th action in the Bay Area.
▪ Working with local and national partners to build and create a bold, exciting and powerful mass-based action on September 8th that not only moves tens of thousands of people but ensures that the action deepens and strengthens the PCM narrative that climate action must be rooted in racial and economic justice and includes and supports leadership from front-line communities, communities of color, workers and union members, students and youth, and poor and working class communities.
▪ Developing and managing the mobilization, organizing, and action structures to ensure that the mobilization is successful. This includes hiring staff, managing partners and consultants working on the mobilization and actions, and developing programs and tools to increase participation in the mobilization.
▪ Creating and managing communication, information sharing and accountability systems to make sure that all pieces of the mobilization are working effectively.
▪ Playing a leadership role in the PCM staff team to ensure coordination of all facets of the PCM 2018 Program Plan (field, digital, arts and cultural, action design) to make sure that all programs are integrated and working seamlessly and that PCM Principles are followed in the development and execution of the action.
▪ Leading the process to develop and manage administrative, financial, CA- based fundraising and budgeting systems.
▪ Developing and managing a detailed logistics plan for the September 8thmobilization that includes vendor relationships and contracts, permitting, budget, coalition partners, transportation, and staff.
▪ Managing direct reports and ensuring a healthy, productive work environment for the staff team.
▪ 5-7 years in a management and/or executive position in a campaign, not-for- profit, and/or direct action setting.
▪ Experience developing, managing, and executing complex, multi-faceted campaigns, events and/or mobilizations where scale is an important component.
▪ Direct supervisory experience, including managing staff and working with consultants, vendors, and volunteers, all done in close coordination with the National Director.
▪ Manage budget development and in-kind financial support to ensure that the needs of Digital, Arts and Cultural, Communications and Field Coordinators, and Partner Organizations are met.
▪ Ability to set up structures and systems quickly and to problem-solve when needed.
▪ Ability to staff work groups, committees, and Steering Committee members as needed to move work projects forward.
▪ Strong team player who can work collaboratively with other staff, Steering Committee members, and field partners.
▪ Attention to detail, strong administrative skill-set, and is well-organized.
▪ Ability to handle multiple tasks and flexible enough to address changes in programs and or projects.
▪ Experience and relationships in both institutional and movement-based settings.
▪ Ability to work with diverse organizations, communities, and constituencies.
Management and Supervision:The California Climate, Jobs, and Justice Mobilization Coordinator will be supervised by the PCM National Director and/or National Organizing Director in consultation with the CA Mobilization Support Team and the PCM Admin Team.
Compensation:This is a contract position through September 30th, 2018 and compensation will be DOE.
We strongly encourage people of color, women, and LGTBQ people to apply for this position.
Please send a resume and a cover letter describing why you are interested in this project and why you believe you can help to produce a mass mobilization of 50,000 people in the Bay Area this September. The deadline for this position is May 30th, 2018.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and a cover letter describing why you are interested in this project and why you believe you can help to produce a mass mobilization of 50,000 people in the Bay Area this September.