The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative -- to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
LDF seeks a dedicated and experienced Human Resources Assistant to provide administrative support to fast pace Human Resources department. This position will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the human resources functions and duties. The Human Resources Assistant will report to the Director Human Resources/Administration and the Human Resources Manager.
This position will be remote until September 2021. Beginning October 2021, any candidate selected should be prepared to report to work in the office location assigned to this position.
• Maintain and enter applicant information and interviews details in the applicant tracking database;
• Assist with scheduling of interviews, serve as liaison with recruiting agencies and distribution of materials;
• Prepare materials and schedule meetings for new hire orientations and onboarding;
• Create and maintain personnel and benefit files for employees, agency staff and intern records;
• Review and audit benefit invoices on a monthly basis;
• Review and edit new job descriptions according to the standard format;
• Handle offboarding logistics for employees, agency staff and interns;
• Assist with planning and execution of special events such as open enrollment, organization-wide meetings, employee recognition events, and holiday parties;
• Perform periodic audits of Human Resources files and records to ensure that all required documents are collected and filed appropriately;
• Draft correspondences such as memos, notifications, union emails, and offer letters;
• Manage calendars for the Human Resources team members;
• Compile and pull reports for senior management or other departments;
• Performs customer service functions by responding to employee inquiries;
• Assist with payroll functions and paperwork on a bi-weekly basis; and
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• College graduate or related field experience preferred;
• Minimum of 2 years of Human Resources or administrative experience;
• Commitment to the racial justice mission of LDF;
• Great interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy;
• Ability to maintain confidentiality;
• Ability to work and interact effectively with individuals at all levels;
• Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn payroll management, Human Resource Information System (HRIS), and similar computer applications;
• Superior attention to detail, organizational and prioritization skills;
• Problem-solve and identify issues and resolve in a timely manner;
• Team-oriented with the ability to work independently;
• Excellent customer service and communications skills; and
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
This position is open until filled.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
If submitting via email, please include your last name and first name in the email subject.
Director of Human Resources/Administration NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund 40 Rector Street, 5th floor New York, New York 10006
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, medical condition or disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law.
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S…