61 Washington Park
The New Art Center in Newton, Inc. seeks an Office Manager to provide operational support of the art school and gallery. This position requires a high-energy, engaging, proactive problem-solver that represent our organization in a completely professional and student-focused manner. In addition to exceptional attention to detail, this position requires:
● A positive, helpful attitude and friendly etiquette while talking to our students and vendors.
● Exceptional ability to multi-task and remain focused in a busy, high-energy gallery and studio environment.
● Ability to be self-directed and work alone when necessary.
The Office Manager position oversees payroll and HR administration, purchasing, accounts payables and receivables, managing and maintaining office equipment, assisting with registrations and phone support. Specific responsibilities include:
● Manage time reporting and electronic submission of payroll for all staff and faculty. Collect hours worked for volunteers.
● Conduct on-boarding for all new staff and faculty including paperwork processing, maintenance of employee files.
● Assist with employee terminations.
● Maintain schedule for staff coverage of building during open hours including educational and gallery events.
● Manage receivables and payables including problem resolution, timing of payments and setting up vendor accounts.
● Manage bank deposits and credit card vendor accounts.
● Monitor financial accounts and cash flow.
● Administer telephone, e-mail and IT systems and interface with consultants. Maintain regular computer back up protocols. Manage all upgrades to equipment.
● Manage inventory and ordering of office supplies.
● Manage rental inquiries, events, and associated city permit processing
● Assist with end-of-year financial audit and preparation of Cultural Data Project Report
● Assist office staff with FileMaker database
● Manage vendor relationships including maintenance, waste management, internet, snow removal, etc.
● Assist with registrations, exhibitions and events as necessary.
● Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Requirements
● 3 – 5 years’ experience in office management including HR and payroll.
● Excellent Microsoft Office skills required.
● Excellent organizational skills and attention to details.
● IT skills a definite plus
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
● 2 or 4 year college degree a plus.
● Prior experience in the art community a plus.
● Some evenings and weekends required.
About our Organization
NAC is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization offers a supportive culture that takes art and artists seriously. We serve over 2,500 students annually in hundreds of classes and workshops. Our faculty includes some of the region’s most esteemed art educators. In a setting that is welcoming and conveniently located, we offer an inclusive, multi-generational approach to art education that has served children, teens and adults at all skill levels since 1977.
We have one of the few mid-sized nonprofit exhibition spaces in New England, and attract over 4,500 visitors annually. The New Art Center’s Curatorial Opportunity Program is well respected in New England’s visual arts community. This program is a unique vehicle for curators and artists to collaborate and present thoughtful, innovative concepts. It is the foundation of our Connections Program for gallery education.
As a non-profit organization, we offer health insurance with a 75% employer contribution, dental and short term disability insurance, as well as a generous paid time off benefit.
Level of Language Proficiency
English written/verbal fluency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org