Immaculate Heart Community (IHC), is a nonprofit multiservice agency that advocates for social and economic justice and is committed to building relations in society to foster human development.
The IHM Residence was established for elderly and retired and infirm former sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary canonical order of Los Angeles who wished to continue living in a communal setting (IHM). The Immaculate Heart Community believed in the value of such a residence out of respect and support of the Elderly members. In addition, the IHC Board of Trustees and Leadership have long supported this need because of the statement during the 1970 Assembly and the following Assemblies to continue the care and support of the Elderly, Retired and Infirm. The IHM Residence also serves as home to participants of a homeless women’s transitional program and to a small number of traditional rental residents of Los Angeles.
The Senior Care Coordinator/Social Worker will provide care management for the elderly IHM’s that live at the IHM Residence and elsewhere. The Care Coordinator will assist the IHM’s with problems associated with aging and healthcare, including: and finances, benefits location, eligibility, application, and coordination of social service programs, counseling services, and financial guidance. In addition, s/he will provide program and management assistance to IHM Residence Manager, with the goal of providing a high degree of management redundancy for coverage and stability of overall facility.
● For all IHM’s
○ Develops, in conjunction with the Director of the IHM Residence, service plans that address the specific needs and preferences of each IHM; ensure that they are updated regularly and as significant changes occur.
○ Perform assessments to evaluate the physical, functional, financial, emotional and environmental status of IHM’s and help to develop an individual service plan to include a social and recreational program that addresses the social, spiritual, emotional, and physical needs of IHM’s.
○ Informs IHM’s, and/or appropriate family members, of public benefits to which they may be entitled and provides guidance and/or support to obtaining benefits in a timely manner.
○ Assist with information and assistance with health care/insurance options as well as support to complete end-of-life documents.
○ Assist with calling medical and service providers, assessing needs and interpreting invoices.
○ Accompany IHM’s to medical appointments and provides advocacy as needed and able.
● For IHM’s at Residence
○ Helps coordinate resident admissions, ensuring all required paperwork is completed in a timely and accurate manner.
○ Coordinates the transfer of IHM’s to more appropriate care settings, as needed either on a temporary or permanent basis.
○ Assist IHM’s with moves from one apartment to another, working with them to identify what needs to be eliminated or moved.
○ In partnership with a home health care supervisor/aid ensures that the IHM’s physicians and/or other support providers are kept informed of changes in IHM’s conditions and needs. Together, assess the need for any medical equipment or devices.
○ Report all unusual incidents, including resident-to-resident incidents.
Program & Management Assistance
● Management – Coordinates the operations of the Kenmore Residence. Works with the Residence Director to develop an overall management competency for the IHM Residence, to ensure that the facility operates in accordance with all applicable regulations and Facility-specific policies and procedures. Oversees the income and expenditures of the Residence. Collects rents and manages the facility budget. Develops and maintains an employee schedule. Ensures compliance with fair housing laws and regulations. Conducts entrance and exit interviews with prospective renters and ensures the completion of a rental agreement. Oversees independent contractors at the Residence.
● Supervision – Supervises, assigns, instructs, trains and evaluates maintenance and housekeeping staff. Conducts an annual performance evaluation of IHC on-site employees. Meets regularly with Bright Star or any other Home Care and Home Health Agency. Understands contract with food service provider and maintains contact with the site supervisor.
● Reports – Prepares and submits monthly written reports to the IHC Board of Trustees. Maintains tenant records, rent ledgers, invoices, and a record of all correspondence and donations. Meets as needed with Vice-President of IH Membership. Meets monthly with Kenmore Coordinating Council. Submits input to Vice President for use in News Notes and/or IHM Quarterly.
● Activities – Liaises with the Executive Director of Alexandria House, a collaborative ministry, to ensure appropriate communication and support. Encourages volunteers and supports the planning of recreational, educational and special celebrations for the residents.
● Investigates and responds to any concerns or complaints expressed by residents, families, and/or staff.
● On call – for facility emergencies as needed in the rotation.
● Three to five years of experience in community care facility with administration and supervision experience.
● Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Gerontology, or related field from an accredited university, and/or relevant experience in care coordination for older adults. (Masters degree preferred.)
● Knowledge of social services and benefits programs available to seniors (such as Medicare, MediCal, SSI, SSDI, TANF, etc.), mental health services, health insurance options and experience with assisting others to obtain these benefits.
● Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
● Strong time management and organization skills.
● Strong communication skills to effectively communicate with seniors, families, vendors, and others.
● Able to exercise independent judgment, demonstrate good assessment skills and relate effectively to the elderly families, and professional associates related to these groups of individuals.
● Effective problem-solver and critical thinker.
● Must possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license without restrictions.
● Must be able to successfully complete a criminal background check.
● Able to pick up and carry 25 lbs.
● Able to walk 4 flights of stairs as needed.
● Able to support others with mobility deficiencies in an emergency.
● Able to push wheelchair-bound resident in an emergency.
Paid holidays, vacation, sick and personal days
403(b) Retirement Plan
Other Available Benefits:
Mileage Reimbursement, Cell Phone Allowance, Longevity Awards, and all other federal and state leave entitlements.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Type the job title: "Senior Care Coordinator/Social Worker" and your name on the subject line.