Details: Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and where you live.
SumOfUs is looking for an experienced non-profit leader to work side-by-side with our Executive Director. This is a full-time position, requiring a minimum of 32 hours per week, and can be undertaken by anyone on a timezone between GMT +1 and GMT -6.
The Director of Programmes will be a senior member of the SumOfUs leadership team. They will keep an overview of campaign strategy for the organisation as a whole, and our impact. They will help to manage communications and fundraising work. They may also be asked to cover for the Executive Director at key meetings and media interviews.
The ideal candidate has 8+ years of campaigns and fundraising experience, with at least two years in a “digital first” or rapid response environment, as well as line management and project management experience. If you are passionate about mobilising people power to challenge some of the world’s largest corporations, while building the strength and skills of a talented staff team to do the same, then this could be the perfect role for you.
A bit about us
SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to challenge them when they don’t.
In an age of multinational companies that are bigger and richer than some countries, it can be easy to feel powerless. But there is a gap in their defenses. The biggest corporations in the world rely on ordinary people to keep them in business. We are their customers, their employees, and often their investors. When we act together, we can be more powerful than they are. Together, our community of millions act as a global consumer watchdog – running and winning campaigns to hold the biggest companies in the world accountable.
Here are some things you might do
Maximise our members’ impact through our campaigns
- Help set impact goals for our organisation, and monitor our progress against them
- Support our campaigns and fundraising staff to come up with imaginative strategies that will outstrip our campaign targets’ defences
- Work with staff across product, operations and fundraising - amongst others - to bring in expertise to judge the right risks and bold new tactics to take our campaigns to the next level
Help to lead our organisation into the next stage of its development
- Work with our staff team to develop their skills and judgement to grow into even better campaigners
- Collaborate with partners, funders and others to shape innovative areas of work that will take SumOfUs into the next five years with confidence
- Bring SumOfUs members along on a journey of growing understanding of how they can challenge corporate power as a member of SumOfUs
Guide choices about how we can campaign
- Be a key voice in decisions about regional growth and expansion, widening the languages we campaign in, or developing our increasingly sophisticated mass mobilisation tactics for shareholders
- Contribute to critical internal conversations about team structure, approaches to staff development and the training opportunities we can offer our team
Represent SumOfUs to the wider world
- Stand in for the Executive Director for public-facing work as appropriate, such as media appearances, or meetings with key stakeholders
- Help to foster key relationships with SumOfUs members, funders and journalists who are keen to learn more about our work
- Supervise senior SumOfUs staff (specific staff to be determined based on experience and skill-set of successful candidate)
- Serve on SumOfUs’s Leadership Teams, which guide the organisation overall, including leading the Campaigns Leadership Team
- Participate or present in Board meetings as requested or needed
The Programme Director will report to the Executive Director.
We need someone who
We have no formal education requirements – if you can learn and grow with the job, that’s all that matters. This role requires some who has:
- A track record running and winning campaigns using mass mobilisation approaches
- Deep familiarity with the MoveOn/Avaaz/38 Degrees/GetUp/Campact model of digital first campaigning
- Experience of fundraising from one-off and regular (recurring) small donations
- Fluency in written and spoken English (our language of operation)
- Experience supervising staff and working as part of a diverse team
At least one of the following:
- Fluency in another language used by SumOfUs (French, German or Spanish)
- Experience of shareholder campaigning
- Experience of devising effective campaign strategies to win campaigns against corporate targets
- Familiarity with using technology as a tool to drive social change
Big pluses include
- Proficiency in widely spoken languages other than those listed above
- Experience working closely with communities affected by corporate accountability issues -- from indigenous communities to low-wage workers
- Extensive network of community organizations, non-profits and advocacy groups, and a political understanding of a range of geographical regions
- Experience of working with, or as part of, a board
- Expertise in any of the areas of public policy associated with the appropriate regulation and oversight of corporations (e.g. corporate tax, labour regulations, data regulation and privacy)
- Experience of a working for a number of different organisations, including those in the private sector or government sectors (at any level of seniority)
How to apply
We only accept applications via the form on our website.
If you have questions about this or other jobs, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and where you live. (For some context: this position in Johannesburg would pay between 1,000,000 - 1,270,000 ZAR, in Paris this position would pay between 97,000 - 116,000 EUR and in New York this position would pay 95,000 - 112,000 USD per year depending on experience and seniority; the compensation level will be adjusted in other regions based on cost of living.)
SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.
We offer five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave and all major public holidays off and 6 months parental leave), contributions to retirement, and the ability to work from home and work with a high degree of flexibility outside our core hours of operation. We cover private health insurance premium for employees and dependents who live in countries without public insurance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via the form on our website.