Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
New Destiny is a New York City nonprofit founded in 1994 to serve one of the City’s most vulnerable homeless populations – victims of domestic violence and their children. We are committed to increasing permanent housing options for domestic violence survivors by building affordable housing and improving their access to existing housing resources.
HousingLink is an innovative citywide program that provides a continuum of services to prevent or reduce shelter use and support housing stability for low-income domestic violence survivors and their children. In collaboration with five borough-based Family Justice Centers, HousingLink connects families fleeing domestic violence who are, or are at risk of, homelessness to quality, affordable rental units in privately owned buildings, educates individuals about their housing options, and assists them to become housing ready. Services include trainings on permanent housing options available in New York City including rental subsidy programs, overcoming barriers to securing an affordable apartment, and preparing successful applications for renting a private sector apartment; one-on-one counseling and referrals tailored to individual needs of each client to address housing barriers (e.g., negative credit, housing court records); referrals to vacant units in affordable housing developments owned by 25 landlord partners; and aftercare to ensure that clients placed in housing remain stable. To date, the program has trained 716 FJC staff and clients, and screened 373 families. HousingLink has connected 74 families into new homes and 100% have remain stably housed.
New Destiny Housing is seeking a Full-Time Housing Coordinator to join the HousingLink team. The qualified candidate will report directly to the HousingLink Director and have the following responsibilities:
- Meet with clients at the Family Justice Centers in one-on-one meetings to conduct case assessments and provide housing consults around permanent housing options, including eligibility for Low Income Housing Tax Credit apartments.
· Communicate with HousingLink staff and client advocates to facilitate case progression and fulfilment of housing action plans.
- Maintain transparency with potential clients regarding expectations, requirements and housing process and provide support as needed.
- Review credit reports and background checks focused on credit, housing, and criminal history.
· Collect documentation and prepare housing applications for HousingLink clients.
· Maintain HousingLink data integrity by regularly inputting and updating client information to the HousingLink database.
· Collect and input quantitative and qualitative data gathered from program participants and partners in support of a program evaluation and ongoing data collection needs.
· Provide aftercare services for placed HousingLink clients via phone and email.
· Encourage HousingLink clients to engage in self-sufficiency improvement activities and supportive services in order to improve their economic situation prior to the end of available housing subsidies
· Provide referrals and linkages to appropriate services for clients in need of support due to rent arrears, safety concerns, and case management services.
Family Justice Centers/Program Partner Relationships:
· Actively network with FJC staff to maintain active referral flow and provide support when needed.
· Conduct case conferences with HousingLink Director and supportive FJC stuff, as needed.
· Help maintain and establish new relationships with other community based organizations.
· Conduct focus groups and evaluation surveys with FJC staff and clients on a quarterly basis.
· Attend internal & external meetings, as needed.
· Other duties as directed
- Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, social work, or related field
· 3+ years work experience in a client-facing, nonprofit organization.
· Demonstrated ability to turn raw data into meaningful narratives and programmatic recommendations
· Must be responsible, flexible, a self-starter and able to work independently.
· Excellent communication and organizational skills.
· Experience interacting with clients over the phone and e-mail.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Preferred candidates will have:
· Spanish fluency.
· Comprehensive knowledge of affordable housing and housing subsidies.
- Financial literacy experience and knowledge.
- Knowledge of Salesforce or Salesforce-based apps
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people are encouraged to apply. Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Email resume and cover letter to New Destiny at Resumes@NewDestinyHousing.org including “HousingLink Housing Coordinator” in the subject line.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required