Details: $1,000 stipend for semester
After School Tutor - Operation Progress (Grades 3-8)
Operation Progress (OP), a nonprofit based in Watts, is currently looking to hire talented and enthusiastic tutors to work with scholars after school in grades 3 through 8 on homework and study skills in all academic subjects.
Academics at Operation Progress: Through Operation Progress’s Academics Pillar, young scholars are placed in a supportive academic environment where they are able to develop their academic potential and strengthen their social skills. Academic pillar programming focuses on transforming scholars into knowledgeable and critical thinkers, allows them to develop and perfect effective study strategies, requires them to minimally achieve a 3.0 GPA, and makes academics a key priority. For this reason, all incoming Operation Progress scholars are placed in schools that support academic growth and are required to participate in our tutoring program.
We are seeking individuals who can accomplish the following:
- Create a safe, productive space for OP scholars to work on homework;
- Make a consistent, weekly commitment;
- Be prepared to balance a wide range of individual needs through large- and small- group instruction and social-emotional learning activities. This may include re-teaching content and/or helping scholars to develop a growth mindset when facing challenges;
- Dedicate 3 hours per week to tutoring scholars in the areas of math, reading, writing and study skills;
- Assist scholars in developing effective study habits to help them succeed in achieving their individual academic goals for grade school, high school and beyond;
- Provide Operation Progress staff with weekly updates around scholars' academic achievements and setbacks.
Tutoring will take place on-site at Saint Lawrence of Brindisi (10044 Compton Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90002) on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:00 PM - 4:15 PM. Stipend will be supplied after the first semester during which tutors will be contracted. Contract has opportunity to be renewed at the end of the first semester.
Job Type: Contract; Part-time
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA 90002
Compensation: $1,000 stipend each semester
Start Date: September 5, 2018 (with training and onboarding occurring on September 4th)
Required education: Associates Degree preferred
- 1-2 years previous tutoring experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Common Core standards preferred.
Required license or certification:
- Virtus Training
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
Minimum Education Required