Details: Salary depending on experience
A Better Childhood fights for children who are abused, neglected, and irreversibly damaged while dependent on child welfare systems. Our work challenges existing structures to improve the lives of children, whether they are in state custody or reliant on the state for protection. We form powerful alliances with local law firms, community organizations, and child advocates who recognize that too many children are suffering needlessly and at public expense. Using the power of the courts, we develop new legal theories and apply existing law to reform the various states’ foster care and other child welfare systems. Then, we stay engaged, monitoring the states’ responses, until we produce results for children.
A Better Childhood will be expanding over the next six months to launch a major five-year effort to more firmly establish a concrete body of law to improve child welfare systems. ABC will be hiring additional support staff including an office manager. This position is full time.
- Billing categorizations, collect and maintain receipts for work-related expenses and travel (Payroll and some aspects of billing are handled by our accountants, but we will need someone to maintain invoices that are sent to defendants)
- Check on profit/loss statements for organization, highlight issues
- Interact with our accounting firm on filings, categorizations, etc.
- Negotiate and present recommendations on malpractice insurance, health insurance
- Ensure that time slips from staff for billable activities are being maintained
- Negotiate contract for and maintain legal research service provider
- Recommend and put together personnel policies
- Establish and maintain systems for office work
- Organize, maintain electronic filing system (requires some knowledge of legal process)
- Make travel arrangements for staff
- Maintain Executive Director’s schedule
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Knowledge of legal system and litigation process
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Interest in public interest work
- Passion for ABC’s mission
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, listen and learn from feedback, and make decisions in accordance with established policies
- Attentiveness to detail and overarching goals
- Ability to thrive in a busy, multi-tasking, and time-pressured environment
- Accuracy, integrity, and discretion
- Good sense of humor
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
ABC values diversity in our workforce and encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply. Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . In the subject line, please write: "Office Manager Position -- [Your Name]."
We expect the new hire to begin as soon as possible. We will review candidates on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
A Better Childhood is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance.