The Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund supports municipal efforts to improve the financial stability of households by leveraging opportunities unique to local government. By translating cutting edge experience with large scale programs, research, and policy in cities of all sizes, the CFE Fund assists mayors and other local leaders to identify, develop, fund, implement, and research pilots and programs that help families build assets and make the most of their financial resources. Financial empowerment spans four key disciplines:
- Professional financial counseling and education
- Access to safe and affordable mainstream banking products and services
- Short- and long-term asset building
- Consumer protection in the financial services marketplace
The CFE Fund is seeking a talented and experienced person to support its communications, fundraising, and external affairs work, working closely with the CFE Fund’s Principal. The Associate will support the creation, development and dissemination of a range of communications and fundraising tools and deliverables, ensuring that the CFE Fund is an active participant and leader in the discourse on relevant financial empowerment issues.
This position reports to the CFE Fund’s Principal who oversees communications and fundraising. During COVID-19, this position will be remote; once COVID-19 related restrictions have ended, this position will be based in New York City and may require occasional national travel.
- Support the development and design of a variety of communications tools and deliverables including reports, one pagers, newsletters, articles, blog posts, op-eds, talking points, press releases, speeches, and presentations, among others;
- Assist with developing relevant, meaningful and regular content for the CFE Fund website and social media outlets;
- Support media and press outreach, including researching potential outlets and reporters, preparing talking points, and supporting media pitches;
- Support fundraising activities including identifying and researching new funders and assisting with proposal development and reporting;
- Identify public opportunities for the CFE Fund to participate and contribute to field dialogue, including conferences, journals, media outlets, and others;
- Support CFE Fund municipal and other partners in their communications and fundraising efforts, including through the provision of technical assistance to these partners;
- Assist CFE Fund leadership and staff on ensuring a common voice for the Fund and ensure that all public facing materials are consistent and on message;
- Support CFE Fund evaluation staff on ‘telling the story’ with data through reports, profiles, one pagers and other evaluation deliverables; and
- Support supervisor and other finance and budget staff with budget management and financial reporting.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in communications, English, or a related field preferred;
- Excellent writer with the ability to synthesize complicated data and policy concepts and develop compelling stories to a wide range of audiences;
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to support a team, and the ability to work closely with a wide range of constituents, including high-level funders, government partners, members of the media, staff, consultants, and community-based organizations;
- Ability to take initiative and move projects forward in a fast-growing, entrepreneurial environment;
- Experience in financial empowerment, asset building, and/or community development with relevant partnership relationships preferred; and
- Graphic design, website management, and government experience a plus
This position offers excellent benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications. CFE Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and 3-5 page professional writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Associate Application.”