The Prince George's County Department of Parks and Recreation, Natural and Historical Resources Division is seeking an Education and Interpretation Manager for the College Park Aviation Museum. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the Education Department and ensuring that the museum's educational/interpretive programming (both on-site and off) is engaging, vibrant, and impactful for adults and PreK-12 audiences. This position works collaboratively with the Assistant Director, Program Manager and Collections on the development of interpretive experiences, programming and hands-on exhibit activities. This position is responsible for managing the Education Collection which consists of hands-on artifacts. Performs other duties as assigned.
The College Park Aviation Museum is dedicated to preserving and promoting aviation innovations at College Park Airport and in Prince George's County while fostering research, inventiveness, and lifelong curiosity about the history and science of flight.
- Examples of Important Duties: Pre K-12 and Community Education: Develops and implements consistent, creative and high quality history and/or STEAM based tours, activities and outreaches for both adult and pre K-12 audiences, utilizing both innovative, hands-on programs and technology. Works collaboratively with the Program Manager on public programming. Works in partnership with Assistant Director and Director on special projects outlined in the 5-year Strategic Plan, including the possibility of a STEAM Truck for public outreach education.
- Community Collaboration & Public Relations: Develops new audiences through beneficial partnerships with external and internal agencies, community groups and cultural organizations through innovative programs, social media and technology. Serves as the public face of the Education Department through meetings with teachers, curriculum coordinators, school administrators etc. Represents the museum at professional conferences and meetings. Responsible for establishing and maintaining the Teachers Advisory Group (TAG) comprised of teachers (math, physics, history, art, etc.) who assist in developing and evaluating proposed STEAM activities/tours and dialogue with Education Department about broader school needs and how museum may best serve those needs.
- Operations and Administration: Works closely with the Assistant Director and Principal Administrative Assistant in maintaining organization and filing systems, communications, and general operations for the Education Department. Responsible for scheduling field trips for groups, including schools, scouts, day care centers, senior centers, summer camps as well as education outreach programs; maintains database for education program records and schedules; handles confirmations for museum visits as well as sending pre-and post-trip materials to classroom teachers and related groups. Hires, trains, supervises, schedules and evaluate education staff of up to six part-time educators. Works with the Assistant Director on developing a Volunteer School Tour Guide program as well as selecting, training and managing volunteer tour guides. Develops content and maintains robust and engaging training procedures and materials for education staff, including volunteer educators. Develops and implements policies and procedures, and evaluation tools to ensure conformance with museum standards and understand audience interests. Compile various monthly or annual reports.
- Collections & Exhibits Collaboration: Collaborates with Collections staff to achieve integration of collections with education programs and activities. Develops and implements tour for temporary exhibits. Works with the Collections staff on developing hands-on/interactive opportunities and educational materials related to temporary and permanent exhibits. Serves on the Exhibit Committee.
- Leadership and Finance: Works with Director and Assistant Director to identify prospective donors, grant funders and other earned revenue opportunities. Assists with educational-grant preparation, administration, and reporting. Participates in presentations and fundraising activities, as needed, to help raise profile of the museum and its educational impact. Develops short and long-range goals for the Education Department and works together with the Director and Assistant Director on development of Strategic Plans.
Salary commensurate with experience