Community Strategy Associate (Israel Action Network): JFNA- NYC
- Job posted by Jewish Federations of North America
The Israel Action Network (IAN) is a strategic initiative of The Jewish Federations of North America, in partnership with the Jewish Council for Public Affairs, created to counter the assault on Israel’s legitimacy. Israel today faces an intensive and increasingly sophisticated assault on its right to exist as a sovereign democratic Jewish state. IAN was created to educate, organize, and mobilize the Jewish Federations, Jewish Community Relations Councils and allied organizations to develop strategic approaches to counter these assaults, and develop innovative efforts to positively change the conversation about Israel in support of a negotiated, two-state solution. Our work is grounded in building strong relationships with people of faith, human right advocates, political and civic leaders, friends and neighbors, in order to empower our communities to facilitate a broader understanding of Israel and Israelis, and inspire effective action on key issues of mutual concern.
The Community Strategy Associate is a full time position reporting directly to the IAN Deputy Director. The Community Strategy division is a critical resource for the network of Jewish Federations, Jewish Community Relations Councils, and allied organizations which helps strengthen community capacity to counter assaults on Israel’s legitimacy. Its activities include the implementation of educational and capacity building programming, strategic planning, broad national outreach, community campaign organizing, and rapid response to crises and current events affecting Israel.
- Strategic advising and coordination of counter-BDS campus efforts involving student activists (in a day-to-day capacity), including scheduling, correspondence, crisis management
- Monitor Israel activities on university campuses in the United States.
- Notify community institutions and develop coordinated effective strategies and campaigns when necessary.
- Assist with the development and implementation of training programs for students.
- Liaise and work with partner student organizations on strategic responses and long-term capacity building projects.
- Assist in development of guides, factsheets, and other written materials
- Assist in providing rapid response to community-specific and national issues
- Conduct research on a variety of Israel-related issues
- Assist in carrying out IAN micro-grants program and conduct follow-up reporting
- Participate in meetings with IAN staff and partner organizations
- Deliver presentations to various audiences.
- Organize local support amongst community members for the Israel Action Network and develop programming to increase community capacity to counter assaults on Israel’s legitimacy.
- Under direction from the Director of Community Strategy and in partnership with allied organizations, develop various initiatives aimed at promoting constructive engagement, dialogue, and peacemaking between Israelis and Palestinians.
- Aid Jewish professionals and leadership in developing appropriate responses to various campaigns aimed at the delegitimization of Israel.
- Other related tasks as necessary
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Excellent program administration, community organizing and event organizing skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed presentation and public speaking skills
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), social media platforms, and internet research techniques.
- Knowledge of Middle East Affairs, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, delegitimization and the BDS Movement.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities
- Strong team player
- Commitment to the mission of the Israel Action Network
- Community Organizing skills
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, communications, Jewish/Middle Eastern studies or a related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in grassroots organizing, community relations, government relations, political campaigns, campus Israel organizing, Jewish communal service or a related field.
- Ability to travel and work off-work hours.
This is a full-time contract position. Start date is immediate.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Minimum Education Required