Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is seeking a Director of Development who will implement diverse, proven development strategies to assist BDT in achieving its mission of transforming benefits access. The Director of Development must be able to think strategically and proactively to create and implement a comprehensive, results-oriented development plan that will support and maintain BDT programs, as well as support innovations. The successful candidate will communicate effectively with current and prospective donors and work to support the development team for our organization.
- Direct all development activities, including but not limited to: relationship management, prospecting, proposal writing and submission, and major donor engagement;
- Manage the development team to support a diverse array of funding types;
- Identify opportunities for future funding in collaboration with other directors and BDT’s leadership team;
- Coach BDT leadership as effective partners in the development process;
- Manage the process to turn great ideas and opportunities into successful engagements;
- Maintain existing funding by ensuring accurate and timely reporting;
- Ensure BDT maintains strong relationships with existing funders and develops them with new funders;
- Create and manage BDT’s major gifts program;
- Staff Board fundraising efforts, as required;
- Coordinate special events, as required; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Master’s degree in a related field is a plus;
- 7-10 years experience in development, including corporate and foundation relations, major donor solicitation, and successful proposal writing;
- Proven track record in fundraising and ability to co-create and deliver fundraising goals;
- Experience managing the development process and the development team;
- A self-starter and hard worker who can manage overlapping projects;
- Understands and harnesses technology in the cycle of development processes;
- Effective at navigating internal and external relationships to shape and achieve shared goals;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong editing skills and attention to detail;
- Excited by the prospect of shaping and realizing new ideas;
- Occasional weekends and evenings required; some travel required;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment; and
- Must be a team player who is passionate about our shared work.
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national nonprofit organization committed to transforming how individuals in need access essential benefits and services. BDT envisions an efficient, cost-effective health and human services system that proactively connects individuals and families to the supports they need so that people are healthier and more economically secure, and communities are stronger. Through direct service delivery and systems change, BDT works to improve health, social, and economic outcomes and streamline the benefits enrollment process.
BDT employs 160 employees in Philadelphia and provides enrollment assistance in Colorado, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina. Since its inception in 2005, BDT has submitted over 650,000 benefits applications for low-income households across the country, securing over $7 billion in benefits for food, healthcare, housing and other services that help move individuals and families toward financial stability. BDT now submits more benefit applications each year than any other entity in the nation. Research and evaluations have found BDT’s targeted outreach and enrollment assistance to be highly cost-effective. BDT also works with government agencies to assist them in adopting policies and practices proven to streamline benefits enrollment, and BDT partners with leading researchers to document the impact of benefits access and cost-effective outreach and enrollment strategies.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to https://careers-bdtrust.icims.com/jobs/1048/director-of-development/job