Details: Commensurate with experience.
1254 Market Street, 3rd Fl
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT LEGAL SERVICES FOR CHILDREN
Founded in 1975, Legal Services for Children (“LSC”) is one of the country’s first non-profit law firms dedicated to providing free legal representation and social work services to children. Our mission is to ensure that all children in the San Francisco Bay Area are raised in a safe environment with equal access to a meaningful education and other services that are necessary to thrive and grow. We believe that our youth deserve positive alternatives to unnecessary placement in foster care, juvenile justice facilities, and immigration detention. LSC pioneered the interdisciplinary approach that is considered a best practice in juvenile law today. We deploy attorney-social worker teams to assist at-risk children who need to access the legal system to stabilize or improve their lives. LSC’s attorneys represent children in legal matters that involve guardianship, dependency, school discipline, immigration, and other civil legal matters. Our social workers provide crisis intervention, case management, counseling, and psychosocial assessments. LSC staff also engage in policy and advocacy projects aimed at advancing the rights of children.
ABOUT THE POSITION
LSC seeks an attorney to represent detained children in ORR custody in immigration matters. If clients are released locally or transferred to ICE detention after turning 18, representation continues beyond ORR detention. Clients are primarily monolingual Spanish speakers. We welcome applicants at all levels and provide opportunities for training and leadership.
· Conducting legal screenings, client interviews, and factual and legal investigations, counseling clients, developing case strategies and case plans, and engaging in oral and written advocacy as part of representing children in immigration matters (primarily Asylum, SIJS, and T & U visa cases)
· Representing children in immigration matters, including Immigration Court proceedings and related state court matters (probate and dependency as needed), as well as applications before U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS)
· A strong commitment to the rights of detained youth is essential as is the ability to respond quickly and efficiently to the demands and deadlines of a fast paced caseload.
· Member in good standing of the State Bar of California
· Spanish fluency is required
· Experience in the practice of immigration law
· Demonstrated commitment to the rights of children and experience working with children who have experienced trauma
· Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure and in crisis situations
· Well-organized, motivated, creative, and independent, yet also able to work in a team-oriented environment
· Commitment to providing culturally competent services
· Excellent verbal, interpersonal, writing, and interviewing skills
Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, holiday, and sabbatical). LSC offers a flexible spending account for qualified health expenses.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish fluency is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, brief writing sample, and contact information for three references to email@example.com, with “Immigration Staff Attorney – ORR Detention” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered: LSC’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are low income youth of color. To ensure that our agency is best serving these children, LSC strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
To promote social justice and best serve our clients, LSC is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups including People of Color and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Bilingual/bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.