GrowNYC is a 50 year old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
• Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
• We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop 'N' Swaps, and free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
• We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
• We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
About GrowNYC’s Zero Waste Programs
GrowNYC’s Zero Waste Programs, funded by the NYC Department of Sanitation, were created in 2006 to provide outreach and education on a wide range of waste prevention, reuse, and recycling initiatives. In 2011, the GrowNYC Compost Program began collecting food scraps for composting at several Greenmarkets and has since expanded to operate 70 food scrap drop-off locations (FSDOs) throughout NYC, diverting over 30 tons of food scraps from landfills each week.
Compost Coordinator – South Bronx Position
Compost Coordinators work in pairs at Compost On-the-Go locations in the south Bronx and are responsible for collecting food scraps and conducting outreach each week at their assigned food scrap drop-off site. They promote food-scrap diversion for composting as an alternative to conventional waste disposal and educate NYC residents on a wide variety of waste reduction and landfill diversion topics.
Compost Coordinator Responsibilities
• Arrive at food scrap drop-off site thirty minutes before open hours begin to receive supply delivery
• Setup and prepare food-scrap collection bags and promotional materials
• Collect food-scraps from residents during open hours
• Conduct local outreach around collection sites to promote food-scrap composting to the general public
• Record information during collection hours and submit electronic reports on time
• Understand what can and cannot be composted and communicate that knowledge with participants
• Answer a range of questions about waste reduction, composting, recycling, and GrowNYC programs
• Promote and answer questions regarding the DSNY Curbside Composting program
• Work with partners, participants, and stakeholders (e.g. DSNY staff, DOT staff, NYPD, schools, community gardens, local non-profits, merchants, construction personnel, etc.)
• Attend bi-monthly staff meetings
• Represent GrowNYC Zero Waste Programs
• Work outdoors, year-round, sometimes in extreme temperatures, and in a potentially noisy environment
• Stand for lengthy periods of time (between 4-9 hours/day)
• Ability to lift heavy bins and supplies, up to 50 lbs
• Early-riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
• Passionate about composting, recycling, and waste reduction
• Experience in community outreach and/or education
• Enjoys talking with people of all backgrounds
• Takes initiative and excels at both independent and partnered work
• Creative problem-solver, able to troubleshoot and make quick, often on-the spot decisions
• Strong communications skills, both written and verbal
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Documents
• Familiarity with and dedication to working in the Bronx
• Interest in food waste and/or related issues – food systems, waste reduction, urban planning, pollution, environmental justice, environmental stewardship, gardening, farming, etc.
• Fluency in multiple languages (especially, but not limited to, Spanish) a big plus
• South Bronx Compost On-the-Go – Friday mornings, year-round, approximately 6:30 AM – 11:30 AM
• Additional Compost Coordinator shifts are available at food scrap drop-off sites city-wide.
Compensation: $16/hour (part-time and includes only statutory benefits)
GrowNYC is a 50 year old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can…
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 26, 2020. Write “Compost Coordinator - Bronx” in the subject line. Please also include where you saw this job posting.
For additional information, please see our website: https://www.grownyc.org/
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com by February 26, 2020. Write “Compost Coordinator - Bronx” in the subject line. Please also include where you saw this job posting…