849 West 34th Street
The University of Southern California is seeking applicants for the position of Communications Officer for the USC Glorya Kaufman School of Dance. In 2012, USC received a transformational gift from philanthropist Glorya Kaufman to establish a new conservatory-style school of dance. USC Kaufman marks the first new school to open at USC in close to 40 years. In fall 2015, the school opened its doors to its first cohort of students pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts. The following fall, the school officially opened its doors to the newly-built facilities, the Glorya Kaufman International Dance Center.
The position’s duties include administration and strategic oversight of communications projects; guiding articulation of brand and messaging across all platforms; curating and managing content for the school’s website and social media platforms; managing media relations and marketing; developing print materials; and working collaboratively to manage admissions, advancement and institutional communications campaigns; supervising and directing student workers, staff support and vendors, and ensuring regular communication and compliance with policies of USC Communications. Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer and closely working with the Vice Dean/Director, they will engage with all divisions of USC Kaufman, including academic programs, student life, admissions and recruitment, advancement, and strategic partnerships. The ideal candidate has experience working in all facets of marketing, media relations, journalism and project management, possesses keen time management skills, is creative and well-organized, and has knowledge and/or experience working in the field of dance and/or dance education. Annual projected salary expected to be $65,000-$75,000.
Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree and minimum of three years experience in marketing, journalism, media relations, and/or social media management. Experience working in dance and within a university setting is strongly preferred. Candidates should have a basic foundation in the Adobe Creative Suite, primarily Photoshop and InDesign; email marking systems; an understanding of web-based applications like Wordpress, HTML, CSS and Hootsuite; a working knowledge of editing and publishing a variety of digital media including images and video; and familiarity with AP Style guidelines.
- Work in collaboration with university-wide communications
- Represent USC Kaufman at USC Communications meetings
- Devise and oversee communications campaigns that advance the school’s strategic priorities
- Work collaboratively with USC Kaufman faculty and staff in other areas such as admissions and advancement to strategize and devise content, materials and consistent messaging
- Strategize and facilitate design, production and distribution of publications and other promotional materials including ads, brochures, marketing collateral, e-newsletters, news, feature stories and videos
- Administer media relations programs and marketing campaigns
- Maintain and enhance the design and content of the school’s website, and assist in the evaluation and implementation of new and emerging web technologies
- Produce and administer the school's content on its video and social media pages
- Determine and administer the appropriate use and storage of brand assets including images, logos, emblems, etc.
- Devise and implement periodic market research, analyze and share results and make recommendation accordingly.
- Respond to internal inquiries, requests and concerns relating to the school’s communications presence
- Set priorities congruent with overall direction of school and coordinate resources and workflow while serving as a liaison with colleagues
- Facilitate relationships, licenses and contracts with various related vendors, service providers and independent contractors
- Facilitate relationships and coordinate communications efforts with external partners and professionals in field
- Maintain oversight of and organize various requests, priorities and support of immediate opportunities as they arise
- Create and administer communications budget and ensure fiscal controls in this area
- Administer communications calendar and timely completion of related projects and activities
- Provide strategic direction for school communications and advise Dean and Vice Dean on all matters pertaining to communications for USC Kaufman
- Supervise multiple student employees
- Perform other duties as assigned
Related Undergraduate Study. Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, English, journalism or related field. Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education.
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Knowledge of dance as an art form and commonly used dance terminology
Masters degree in communications, marketing, public relations
Experience working in dance and within a university setting.
Knowledge of various dance styles, dance history and dance artists currently touring and working in the field.
Minimum Education Required