Title: Chief of Party, Sierra Leone
Department: IMPACT Malaria
Based in Freetown, Sierra Leone
Reports to Country Operations Director, Impact Malaria
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI is implementing the USAID IMPACT Malaria (IM) project under USAID's President's Malaria Initiative (PMI) providing implementation support and technical assistance to countries for malaria service delivery in health facility and community settings. Working with national governments and PMI, IM will identify efficiencies and standardize best practices in the scale up of malaria case management, the control of malaria in pregnancy (MIP), and the introduction of other malaria drug-based approaches.
PMI recently began activities in Sierra Leone in 2018, in collaboration with the National Malaria Control Program. With Fiscal Year 2017 funding, PMI elected to buy in to the IM global service delivery mechanism.
At present, PSI is looking for an Impact Malaria Chief of Party (COP) based in Freetown, Sierra Leone to lead the start-up and implementation of Impact Malaria activities. The COP should have significant management qualifications and international experience with USAID and other donors. We are looking for someone with a proven track record of delivering results in field offices and working in fast paced environments.
Sound like you? Read on.
The Impact Malaria Chief of Party, reporting to the Country Operations Director of the Impact Malaria Project, will provide leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of the project and to achieve rapid and sustained project goals, objectives and targets. The COP will be responsible for planning, budgeting and rolling out activities while assuring compliance with regulations and financial/administrative best practices. S/he will provide organizational start-up assistance to put systems and staffing in place as well as serve as the primary point of contact with PMI and government stakeholders for the IM project. Specific areas of responsibility include:
Leadership and Management:
- Work closely with core team to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation
- Ensure compliance with USAID operational policies and regulations
- In collaboration with the project program and finance team, develop project workplan and budget and ensure performance indicators and targets are met, as well as timely completion of activities against workplan deadlines.
- Contribute to the development of quarterly/ annual programmatic reports and monthly progress updates for the project
- Assist the core team with the production and dissemination of knowledge products.
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of donor resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with donor standards
- Ensure sound financial management including programmatic budgeting, spending projections and monitoring of payments
- Participate in recruiting and then onboard and mentor new staff when hired
- Promote and demonstrate an ethical environment in line with PSI's values and of honesty and acting with integrity
- Ensure that program is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of Sierra Leone, its people and donors
- Advise national counterparts on technical issues and participate in relevant technical advisory groups with counterparts and partner institutions
- Liaise with HQ technical advisors to ensure technical quality and adherence to international best practices in malaria service delivery
- Collaborate with National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) and Sierra Leone Ministry of Health to strengthen quality improvement and supervision systems for malaria interventions
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) staff to develop M&E frameworks and effectively track data/results
Relationship Building and Communications:
- Provide overall oversight of the project and maintain effective and regular communication with the core team, implementing partners, and government entities
- Participating in partner and stakeholder meetings in Freetown and the project regions as needed
- Maintain excellent relationships with donor and in-country stakeholders
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You'll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won't be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it's the only way you'll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You'll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won't succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- You have a Master's degree in international development, public health or a related degree
- You have at least 10 years of experience in international development
- You have lived and worked in a developing country
- You have significant demonstrated experience in government and donor relations and collaboration in the health field – malaria preferred
- Understanding of country office systems including finance and administrative reporting
- Strong preference for experience working with PMI
- Previous USAID COP experience or demonstrated strong management skills
- Familiarity with USAID Acquisition mechanisms (Contracts)
- Familiarity with West Africa
- Experience working on or managing malaria projects
- Fluency in English
What would get us excited?
Experienced manager. You have been a Country Director, Resident Advisor or Chief of Party of a project before and have participated in country level program implementation.
Capacity Builder: You have experience in building teams, setting up systems, empowering local technical, management and leadership capacity.
Collaborative manager. You are able to inspire a shared vision for tackling the malaria issues in Sierra Leone. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
A connector. You have experience working with Ministries of Health, donors, health care companies, and other implementing partners. You are able to listen to others and identify challenges and work with local leaders to creatively address gaps.
- Position contingent on PSI registration in Sierra Leone
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/b44tgw3rdqshmqyj
Minimum Education Required