LEGAL WELLNESS INSTITUTE at THE FAMILY CENTER
LEGAL SERVICES COORDINATOR
(JD Not Required // Full Time Position)
The Family Center is a multidisciplinary nonprofit organization serving New Yorkers affected by illness, crisis and loss. Our Legal Wellness Institute (LWI) represents clients in all five NYC boroughs, and we often meet with clients in their homes or hospitals.
Our Clients: LWI primarily serves New Yorkers affected by serious illness or disability. We serve patients in the midst of debilitating treatment. We serve those who have recovered from illness and must now put their lives back together. We serve those not likely to get better. We serve the elderly, home-bound, and patients in hospitals or hospice.
Our Work: We practice in a number of substantive areas including: (1) Lifetime Planning; (2) Family & Matrimonial Law; (3) Public Benefits & Income Maintenance; and (4) Housing Law. Every LWI staff member is trained and helps clients in all of these areas. We also give educational presentations and trainings across the city to community groups and other professionals.
The successful candidate will play a vital role in the functioning of LWI.
Job duties and tasks include:
· Serve as an advocate for clients on issues relating to benefits and other matters;
· Assist with new client intake, data entry, and reporting;
· Assist LWI attorneys in providing legal services to clients, including home and hospital visits, research and document preparation, and court filings;
· Prepare and give group presentations and individual advocacy to vulnerable NYC communities on topics such as public benefits, advance directives, financial literacy, and more;
· Other projects and tasks as required.
· College Graduate – (minimum BA or BS) required;
· Bilingual (Spanish/English) strongly preferred;
· Strong interpersonal, organizational, research and writing skills;
· Ability to create and develop educational presentations and materials;
· Experience or studies in law, benefits, or personal finance preferred but not required;
· Willingness to travel throughout NYC via public transportation.
The Family Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Family Center is covered under FMLA.
· Health and Dental Benefits
· 403(B) Retirement Plan
· Four Weeks’ Annual Leave
· Tuition Reimbursement Program
· Long Term Disability Plan
· Flexible Spending Account
· TransitChek Program
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (Spanish/English) strongly preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, cover letter with salary requirements and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the words “Legal Services Coordinator Application” in the subject line of the email.