Details: This position starts at $15/hour
11 Inman Street
Food For Free is hiring an Event Coordinator—a part-time position
Food For Free is a non-profit organization that improves access to healthy food within our community by rescuing food that would otherwise go to waste, strengthening the community food system, and creating new distribution channels to reach underserved populations.
We envision a future where everyone in our community—regardless of age, income or ability—has consistent access to fresh, healthy, delicious food.
Food For Free is hiring a part-time Event Coordinator (EC) to support our fundraising and other events. This position will have primary responsibility for 1) recruiting and supporting the fundraising efforts of riders on our Ride for Food team, and 2) managing the auction that is part of our Party Under the Harvest Moon fundraiser. The EC will also support the Empty Bowls event, held in the spring, and other events throughout the year.
This position requires someone with an unusual balance of skills: a warm personality with the ability to recruit and generate enthusiasm among volunteers, solid organizational and data-management abilities, and a comfort with personally asking for donations.
Hours worked will range from 12-20 hours/week, with more hours August-October and fewer the rest of the year.
Party Under the Harvest Moon
- Solicit donations from new and existing donors to reach goals for auction size and income
- Oversee collection of item forms/information
Committee and Volunteer Management
- Attend Party Committee meetings as needed (typically one evening per month)
- Work with the Party Committee to brainstorm one-of-a-kind experiences, and to close these asks
Data Management and Content Creation
- Oversee data entry and uploading of images for all auction items
- Write/edit item descriptions OR oversee volunteers in writing them
- Ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience for Party guests/auction bidders
- Train and manage volunteers to assist party guests with their auction participation
- Manage the 501 Auctions software on the day of the event, including troubleshooting, as necessary
- Generate reports on auction sales, payments outstanding, and any items not collected day-of
- Work with Development team to collect any outstanding payments
Ride for Food
Rider Recruitment and Engagement
- Recruit both past and new riders with a goal of 30 individual riders and at least 3 new riders
- Recruit at least one new corporate/university Ride Team
- Train and support Riders in their own fundraising
- Work with the Development team to craft engaging emails and social media posts to support recruitment, engagement, and fundraising
- Attend all Ride meetings (held by Three Squares New England—the Ride for Food organizers)
- Participate in and fundraise for the Ride
- Support the Ride Team the day of the event, by attending the Ride, bringing t-shirts, taking a photo, etc.
- Work with the Development team to recognize Riders after the Ride
Empty Bowls and Other Events
- Design and create collateral material to support a variety of fundraising events
- Work with the Development Director to create engaging live programs
- Attend Empty Bowls (and most events) and provide day-of-event support
- Support the Development team in promoting events, via email, social media, paper mailings, and other tactics
Skills & Qualifications
- Personal honesty and integrity
- Maturity and sound judgment
- A warm and professional demeanor, in person, on the phone, and in written communications
- Willingness to personally ask for donations
- Ability to engage and excite volunteers!
- A high level of organization and time-management
- Clear and professional prose
- Attention to detail
- A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Familiarity with, or the ability to learn quickly, our online auction management system (501 Auctions)
- Ability to attend evening meetings in Cambridge and in Dedham
- Ability to lift 20-30 pounds (to participate in event load-in and load-out)
- Ability to work a long day on Party day (October 19 this year)
- Ability to work in both the Food For Free office and at loud, crowded events
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to Michelle Holcomb via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.