The Implementation Coach (Contraceptive Counseling) supports the successful delivery of Upstream’s quality improvement program at health care agencies by working directly with health center support staff, guiding and mentoring them on contraceptive counseling and workflow through an on-site, at-the-elbow coaching program. The Implementation Coach collaborates closely with Upstream’s Quality Improvement and Training team staff and health center leadership to conduct effective coaching. The Implementation Coach serves on a team dedicated to supporting a specific agency or group of agencies and reports to a MA Quality Improvement Advisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Deliver implementation coaching program to Upstream’s health center partners. Key responsibilities include:
- Conduct pre-training site visits alongside Quality Improvement Advisor, to get introduced to site leaders and staff, discuss on-site coaching approach, set expectations for timing of implementation coaching at the health center, and assess clinic layout
- Alongside the QIA, collaborate with Training staff to optimize training and post-training coaching and education
- Assess health center staff’s post-training knowledge, skills, confidence and behavior change, based on their role in contraceptive care access
- Work with Quality Improvement Advisor to develop strategy for and to calibrate ongoing implementation coaching sessions based on site’s progress
- Advise and guide health center staff according to expected role-based competencies
- Complete standard evaluation and feedback documentation for each site; sign-off rooming staff as they demonstrate competency.
- Regularly communicate on status with Quality Improvement Advisor and Quality Improvement Coordinator through timely submission of standard documentation as well as regular team check-ins
- Coordinate with QI and Training teams to conduct refresher training, if needed
- Update coaching tracking system regularly with progress of coaching interactions (e.g., not yet started in progress, complete, staff sign-offs) in order to assess duration and level of effort.
- Provide recommendations for and deliver ongoing coaching activities to support data-driven quality improvement activities as well as sustainability of practice change
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- 2-3 years’ experience in: clinical support staff role in a health care center; educator or trainer in health care or other community-based services setting; and/or administrative or clinical supervisor of a health care center
- Basic familiarity with the use of an EHR during patient visit
- Experience assisting staff through implementation of workflow or new job skills or tasks within the health care service delivery model
- Ability to break down complex information and protocols in a manner that is clear and concise
- Excellent verbal communication skills, articulate and confident under all circumstances
- Demonstrated ability to work across multiple organizational functions and disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, influence and work effectively with diverse staff
- Possess sensitivity in the provision of health care services to culturally and linguistically diverse populations
- Understanding of challenges of working in a health care environment
- Ability to travel extensively to health centers within the assigned geographic region
- Ability to effectively coordinate multiple tasks and activities concurrently and prioritize accordingly
- Proficiency in G Suite
Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Experience in reproductive health or contraceptive counseling
- Knowledge of best practices to support same-day access to contraceptive care
- Bilingual speaker of Spanish would be a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a strong sense of empathy and ability to assess what motivates others. Builds and maintains positive, productive relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Welcomes and acclimates quickly to new challenges and changes; solutions-oriented, self-starter who works well independently
- Top-notch internal and external customer service at all times, including prompt, professional verbal and written communications
- Solid work ethic and a team player attitude
- Sense of humor
At Upstream, we embrace diversity. We nurture it and we thrive on it because it benefits our organization, our partners, and our community. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Upstream is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Learn more about working at Upstream, our values, and our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Upstream Headquarters: 426 17th Street, #200, Oakland, CA 94612 www.upstream.org
No phone calls please.