425 W. 47th Street
Position: Junior Maintenance Worker
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor
Fountain House successfully addresses the devastating impact of serious mental illness. We were founded in New York City in 1948 with the belief that people living with mental illness can be active participants in their own and each other’s recovery. Each year, over 1,300 members come to Fountain House to contribute their talents, learn new skills, access opportunities and forge new friendships.
Fountain House creates a culture that transforms lives. Our members, in partnership with staff, operate employment, education, housing and wellness programs. They perform all activities, including advocacy, administrative support, building maintenance and food preparation that keep our community going. Members hold jobs, graduate from schools, develop social networks and experience fewer hospitalizations and improved overall health. Increased fulfillment, sense of purpose, and stability inevitably follow.
Fountain House has inspired the creation of hundreds of similar programs in 34 countries that serve more than 100,000 people annually. In 2014, the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation recognized our global reach and the efficacy of our evidence-based model with the prestigious Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize.
Fountain House provides professional development opportunities and promotes from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires personal growth and development.
Fountain House is looking for a junior maintenance worker to assist in carrying out all scheduled and non-scheduled maintenance, servicing, fault-finding and repairs on all equipment and ensure facilities are tidy and functional.
Being reliable with a keen eye for detail is the first step to getting this job. The ideal candidate will have two years of experience and technical knowledge. The ideal candidate must possess manual dexterity and physical stamina.
1. Perform repairs such as, broken locks, clogged toilets, leaking faucets, etc.
2. Assist with the installation of appliances and equipment.
3. Assist with moving and assembling furniture.
4. Ensure standard safety procedures are followed.
5. Collect trash, recycling and bulk garbage, as well as general cleaning.
6. Assist with the repair and maintenance of all plumbing; unless work specified requires a licensed plumber.
7. Work with a diverse community at multiple sites, with the ability to work as a team.
8. Ensure good housekeeping in the workshop and the clubhouse and take proper care of tools.
9. Other duties; as assigned.
1. Must possess current and valid U.S. work authorization and be eligible to work for any U.S. employer without sponsorship.
2. Must be able to obtain certificates of fitness for fire alarm, sprinkler and micro-turbine within the first month of employment.
3. Two years of maintenance experience and general knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems.
4. Must be dependable, flexible, proactive, approachable, learn from feedback and take initiative.
5. Ability to learn new systems, read technical manuals and drawings.
6. Experience using hand and electrical tools.
7. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
8. Physical stamina and dexterity.
9. Must have driver’s license, high school diploma or equivalent.
10. Bi-lingual a plus.
11. Minorities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
1. Paid Time Off and Ten (10) Paid Holidays
2. Paid Bereavement Leave
3. Medical, dental and vision plans (contribution towards premium required)
4. Life Insurance
5. Voluntary Life Insurance
6. Whole Life Insurance
7. Short-Term Disability
8. Long-Term Disability
9. Supplemental Disability
10. Workers’ Compensation
11. Tuition Assistance
12. Retirement Plan
13. Tax Deferred Annuity
14. Flexible Spending Accounts
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Only those individuals meeting the requirements of the job will be contacted. To apply for this position, you must view website at www.fountainhouse.org. If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter via e-mail to FHmaintenance425@yahoo.com. NO PHONE CALLS. EEO