265 Henry Street
Why Work with Us
When you work with us, you are part of an organization that has been changing the lives of vulnerable New Yorkers since 1893. Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity to enrich lives and expand human progress for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs. Building on its 125-year legacy of innovation and effective programming, Henry Street offers more than 50 programs and is one of New York City’s largest social service agencies.
We offer a competitive benefits package, including healthcare, paid time off, 403b pension plan, commuter and flex spending plans, and a chance to join like-minded individuals (more than 650 employees) who are committed to our mission to open doors of opportunity to Lower East Side residents and all New Yorkers with cutting edge social service, arts and health care programs.
About Your Role
As a part of our People team, you will play a dynamic role in shaping and executing people policies, spanning employee relations, onboarding and training, performance management, recruitment, succession planning, career development, payroll, benefits, and compliance. There might not be a typical day for you, so you are comfortable wearing multiple hats and having a range of responsibilities. You bring a can-do, hands-on attitude to everything you do.
- Serve as lead HR point of contact for 1-2 divisions and administer people operations for those divisions
- Maintain strong relations with supervisors to ensure healthy feedback and dialogue about implementation and effectiveness of talent programs
- Provide advice and coaching to managers regarding employee relations practices, policies, and employment laws
- Manage goal setting, ongoing performance feedback and coaching, and the year-end evaluation process
- Support recruiting: Consult with hiring managers on job design and assist in interviewing/candidate selection
- Monitor turnover and develop strategies to maintain/enhance morale and retention
- Serve as first escalation point for staff, management, and vendors related to employee services, benefits, and counseling
- Deliver internal training programs as needed
- Hear and resolve employee concerns or grievances
- Counsel employees and supervisors on disciplinary procedures
- Update and maintain employee handbook and HR Department Procedure and Policy Manual
- Administer termination processes, including conducting and analyzing exit interviews and coordinating with all departments to ensure proper termination for all exiting employees
Strategy and Program Design
- Stay abreast of external trends and research relevant to HR and talent management
- Design and manage employee training and development including oversight of professional development seminars and internal workshops opportunities for staff (i.e. interviewing, onboarding, terminations, promotions, feedback, performance reviews, employee goal setting, management training, safety, and sexual harassment)
- Review and recommend updates to our policies, including FLSA job classifications
What We’re Looking for in the Senior HR Generalist
Our leaders are great communicators with a high degree of integrity, accountability, and emotional intelligence. We value systems builders with well-honed management skills and a commitment to continuous performance improvement and achieving results. Excellent problem-solvers with thoughtful, data-driven approaches to challenges will find a home here. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
As the Senior Generalist, every single day your knowledge of HR conventions, benefits, employment law, people management and organizational development melds with your innovative spirit. You have a track record of success in leading change, possess excellent judgment, are a good listener, and inspire others. To this job you’re bringing a customer service mentality and you readily gain the trust of both our leaders and staff. You handle sensitive issues with diplomacy and discretion in addition to being a skilled trainer and coach of individuals and groups. Skilled at training and facilitating staff at all level in individual and group settings, you will enable the success of Henry Street Settlement’s talent programs.
Along the way you know that you’ve picked up a solid knowledge of state and federal employment laws, a bachelor’s degree and logged 5+ years of experience in talent management and personnel administration. SHRM Certification and/or an advanced degree is a plus
- Oversee the administration of medical and group insurance benefits and claims, including acting as liaison with medical brokers
- Administer disability and unemployment policies and claims
- Study and assess benefit needs and trends, including recommending benefit programs, obtaining and evaluating benefit contract bids, and awarding benefit contracts
- Conduct educational programs on benefit programs and respond to employee questions regarding benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Senior HR Generalist” in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals are treated equally without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity or veteran status, and that all are given every opportunity to succeed. Let us hear from you! You can reach Human Resources at 212.766.9200