District of Columbia
We’re looking for a creative and visionary leader to manage all aspects of media relations and strategy for United We Dream in Texas. The right person for this job is an excellent writer with political and cultural savvy who can’t wait to make the voice of UWD members heard and change the world.
The Communications Manager will develop and maintain relationships with reporters, shape and get the story out and keep your eye on the ball so that we shift the narrative on immigration and broader issues we care about. S/he will be key in the leadership development pipeline of immigrant youth as communication leaders as well. Yes, we’re interested in the news, but we’re also interested in entertainment, culture, narrative development and trends as well, so you should be too.
The winning candidate will join United We Dream’s amazing communications and digital team and play a central strategic role for the organization. To be successful in this job, an individual must work well under pressure and enjoy leadership development because we’re in the business of supporting our affiliate groups and leaders to shine. This is a full-time exempt position based in Austin, TX.
- Under supervision of the Texas Director works with Director, Texas staff, and Communications Department to develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy - including both long term and rapid response projects - to advance the goals of our membership
- Write press statements, media advisories, press releases, talking points and background memos to achieve the strategic goals for Texas and UWD Field and Communications Departments.
- Train/coach a leader in each of our key cities to pitch stories, field media inquiries and maintain relationships with reporters, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, hosts and bloggers in addition to entertainment industry contacts
- Coach a communications leader in each of our key cities to identify and train spokespeople for press events and interviews in both English and Spanish
- Plan and support press events organized by United We Dream, affiliate groups and partners while coaching local leaders to be communications leads in their localities.
- Work with Texas Director to craft messages for UWD’s range of audiences
- Coordinate Texas press and media stories/releases with UWD Digital Department to include social media component to amplify reach and impact of stories and messaging.
- Work with the Communications Department to achieve UWD’s communications goals.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with communications staff and lead volunteers of UWD Affiliates and partners
- Train and coach Texas field leaders and members in training leaders on story of self, us and now
- Contribute to the political strategic direction of the Network
- Find opportunities to advance the interests of United We Dream members and programs through the news and entertainment media
- Manage UWD’s media relations technology suite
- Track news clips and continually assess and improve UWD’s impact on the media
- Other duties as assigned.
Abilities and Experience:
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal communications skills, preferably bilingual (English and Spanish)
- At least 3+ years of communications or relevant experience
- Track-record of success working with new and traditional media
- Experience producing messaging for campaigns and materials
- Able to implement a rapid response communication strategy
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects and hold self and others accountable
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment
- Ability to be part of intersecting teams and give and receive support as necessary
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor
- Personal experience with the issues facing the UWD membership preferred
- Experience on immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred but not required
- Don’t think you meet one of these requirements? This is a comms job - convince us why we should hire you anyway.
Vacation, Health Care (including medical, dental, vision), life insurance, and 403b Retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Preferably bilingual in English and Spanish.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and at least one writing sample via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include TX COMMUNICATIONS MGR – (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME) in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.