LOCATION: Maryland/ Pennsylvania Area (Preferably in the Pittsburgh or Baltimore Metro area)
ABOUT EL Education
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts in our national school network—those implementing our school model—and in our family of literacy partners—those implementing our Language Arts curriculum.
Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world.
EL Education, a 501c(3) nonprofit, was founded in 1992 by Outward Bound USA in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
For more information, visit ELeducation.org
ABOUT THE POSITION
EL Education is seeking a Professional Development Specialist. This position includes strategic and tactical support to schools and/or districts in implementing our student-engaged assessment practices, classroom management practices, and K-8 Literacy Curriculum. This position plays an integral role in EL Education's vision of expanding our reach further into historically marginalized and underserved areas of the educational landscape. The PD Specialist works in four to eight schools, collaborating with a team of EL Education coaches and regional leadership. This position includes travel across the entire Mid-Atlantic region (as well as occasional national travel) and reports to the Regional Director, Maryland/DC.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Build relationships with partner schools, including school leaders, school-based coaches, teacher leaders, and teachers.
- Communicate regularly with Regional Director regarding curriculum implementation and professional development impact.
- Support, celebrate, and report on achievements of district / school goals and milestones.
- Flexibly to problem-solve issues related to professional learning and curriculum implementation at any given school/district site.
- Provide thought-partnership and capacity building support to school leaders to ensure impactful professional learning and implementation of curriculum.
- Communicate proactively and frequently with school partners to ensure continuity in between on-site visits.
- Effectively coordinate and manage professional learning and coaching schedule with school partners to maximize on-site time and fully support school leader and teachers. Ie: Gather data and information about program school structures (schedule, calendar, etc.)
- Collaborate positively and effectively with program partners to ensure a full understanding of district and school goals and outcomes and the roles and responsibilities of all involved.
- Intentionally cultivate relational trust with all stakeholders by demonstrating respect, integrity, competence and a personal regard for others.
Work as a member of a high-functioning team to build capacity and monitor progress in schools by providing professional development and curriculum implementation tools to school-based coaches and lead teachers, along with their associated building principals and colleagues in multiple formats:
- Face-to-face professional development institutes in large group settings.
- Virtual professional development (synchronous and asynchronous).
- Building capacity in school-based coaches by coaching alongside them through walkthroughs and feedback cycles, modeling lessons, and solving implementation dilemmas.
- Partnering with building leaders and leadership teams to monitor and adjust strategy to achieve goals.
- Providing turnkey training and materials.
- Other formats as required.
Work as a member of a high-functioning regional team.
- Develop creative, interactive face-to-face and virtual experiences that model the engagement and practices expected in EL Education classrooms.
- Ensure professional quality through sharing successes and challenges, an open response to feedback and application of new learning.
- Collaborate with colleagues to solve problems of practice, create efficiencies, and commit to an organizational norm to continual improvement.
Maintain superior records related to service delivery and impact.
- Maintain records related to types of services provided and audience impacted.
- Collect and/ or support the collection of data related to program satisfaction and impact.
- Communicate effectively with program partners regarding services provided.
- Maintain accurate personal records such as timesheet and travel log.
A successful candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and proven commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive practices.
- A Master's degree in education, education leadership, or related field.
- Applicants must be familiar with the EL Education ELA curriculum for grades K-8; experience with leading the implementation of the curriculum is preferred.
- Five or more years of relevant work experience - Proven experience and deep expertise in teaching and learning, specifically Primary and Intermediate Level literacy instruction, delivering professional development, backwards planning, and the implications of the CCSS instructional shifts.
- Personal characteristics that enable the candidate to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds.
- Skill and experience in word processing, PowerPoint, Prezi, Blackboard Collaborate, and other professional development tools.
- An ability to manage complex tasks and timelines independently and proactively while working from home / away from direct supervision.
- Experience and willingness to work with virtual teams across different geographical sites.
- Exceptional organization, verbal, and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Capacity and willingness to learn quickly.
- A high degree of integrity, flexibility, and good humor.
- Experience managing multiple projects and tasks with stellar results.
- Availability and willingness to ebb and flow with high intensity work flow.
- Willingness to accept feedback; devotion to continuous growth.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% for service delivery and internal, organizational events (ie. National Conference, Staff retreat)
- Residence in or willingness to move to the Pittsburgh metro area (with frequent travel to Baltimore) or Baltimore metro area (with frequent travel to Pittsburgh)
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply through our website.The anticipated start date for this position is May 15, 2020. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to equity across the organization: in services to our partners, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor