Pier 86, W 46th St & 12th Ave
Assistant Aircraft Restoration Technician
As an educational and cultural nonprofit institution, the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum mission is to promote the awareness and understanding of history, science and service through its collections, exhibitions and programming in order to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth. Located in New York City on the Hudson River, the Intrepid Museum is centered on the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark. Welcoming over one million visitors annually, the Museum also features the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine.
We are seeking an Assistant Aircraft Restoration Technician. Primary assistant to Manager of Aircraft Restoration in the inspection, damage repair, corrosion control, cleaning, and restoration of Museum aircraft and associated exhibits. Assists with the maintenance and care of the Museum’s aircraft collection and its related records, including all preventive and corrective maintenance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Performs repairs and maintenance of aircraft exhibits, including restoration of corroded structures, repair of cosmetic damage, and other minor repairs as directed by Manager of Aircraft Restoration.
- Maintains Aircraft Maintenance shop, performing light cleaning and ensuring tools and supplies are clean, safely-stored, and correctly maintained.
- Monitors Aircraft Maintenance shop supply levels and informs Manager of Aircraft Restoration of need to order additional supplies.
- Performs other duties related to the maintenance, repair, and movement of aircraft in the Museum’s collection, including but not limited to:
- Assists in all movements of aircraft, within the museum and to and from the Museum as aircraft are added to or removed from the collection.
- Assist in all painting of aircraft to compliance with Museum curatorial standards regarding colors and insignia used.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Manager of Aircraft Restoration.
Technical Job Specifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- An undergraduate degree or other similar level of training and/or experience in Marine Engineering, Aircraft Engineering, Aircraft Maintenance and/or a related field.
- Three or more years of previous experience in maintenance and care of aircraft in a military, museum, aviation or marine environment.
- Must have strong mechanical aptitude & general knowledge of metal forming hand tools and equipment.
- Ability to read repair instructions and work orders and execute projects as directed.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and depth perception.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
We offer a competitive salary for this position and the opportunity to be a part of a very rewarding time in the Museum’s history!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For consideration e-mail cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in. NO PHONE CALLS.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.