Part Time Temporary
Call for Teaching Artists!
Summer Program Arts Fests
Girls Leadership operates a residential summer program for middle and high school girls held on the campus of Cate School in Carpinteria, CA. Unlike traditional girls’ leadership programs, which teach girls “external” skills like public speaking or interviewing, Girls Leadership specializes in building the internal skills necessary for leadership: emotional intelligence, assertive self-expression, and healthy relationships.
The Arts Fest projects allow girls to recognize, honor, and communicate their authentic voice through creative mediums. We are seeking proposals that focus on visual arts, voice, music, dance, theater, spoken word/poetry and more.
Girls Leadership will host two Arts Fest program this summer for our middle and high school participants. We are seeking dynamic, engaging, experienced teaching artists to design and teach their craft to small groups of girls from all over the United States. Artists will be partnered with Girls Leadership staff for support if needed. Projects will culminate at the end of the two or three day Arts Fest in a Girls Leadership “community celebration” of art, expression and sharing.
Please note: You can apply to work for both the middle and the high school Arts Fests or just one. Please designate which Arts Fest you are interested in working in your application.
Location: Cate School, Carpinteria, CA
Time, Schedule & Compensation:
Arts Fest 1: July 6 - July 8, 2018 (girls in grades rising 6-8)
July 6: 6:45-8:00p (“kickoff & pitch session”)
July 7: 10-11:45a, 2-4 p and 6:45-8:00p
July 8: 10- 11:45a, 2-4 pm, 6:45p-8p (“community celebration”/presentation)
(Artists invited to stay overnight July 8 & join for breakfast July 9)
Compensation: $750 plus room and board.
Arts Fest 2: August 3 – August 6, 2018 (girls in grades rising 9-12)
August 3: 6:45-8:30pm (“kickoff & pitch session”)
August 4: 10-11:45a, 2-4p and 6:45-8:30p
August 5: 10-11:45a, 2-4p and 6:45-8:30p
August 6: 10a-11:45a, 2-4pm, 6:45p -8pm (“community celebration”/presentation)
(Artists invited to stay overnight August 6 & join for breakfast Aug 7)
Compensation: $900 plus room and board.
Important structure and details:
- The first evening session for both Arts Fests is a “kickoff and pitch session” with the participant and staff community. Each Teaching Artist is asked to prepare a 10 minute introduction that may include introduction of self, performance, short and engaging Power Point slides, music, example work, scaffolded engagement of the audience, etc. The goal is to offer a concrete understanding of the scope and work involved in your project as the participants will be choosing their choices in order from 1-5 and will receive either their first, second, or third choice.
- Each Teaching Artist and project will have a range of 10-25 participants across grade continuously for the duration of the two or three days.
- On the third or fourth day “community celebration” can range from 10-20 minutes depending on the project scope and need and will take place in a running order with the other four project shares during the evening.
- Proposals will be reviewed by and teaching should be informed by the accompanying document, “Teaching in Alignment with the Girls Leadership Mission”
- We have a threshold budget of $150 per project for materials.
- Each Teaching Artist will be provided room and board for their stay and will need to bring a pillow, blanket, and bath towel along with other toiletries for their stay.
- Each Teaching Artist must plan for their travel to and from Cate School. We are able to pick up and drop off at the Carpinteria Airbus location at 1114 Casitas Pass Road. We do not reimburse for travel costs.
- Expected arrival to campus by 3p on first day and departure by noon on day after the closure last session.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Project proposals will be reviewed and processed in the order received. Proposal deadline is April 1, 2018.
- Please send a cover letter, resume and one to two page detailed project proposal with the subject line: “<your full name>, Arts Fest Proposal” to Cora Garner, Summer Program Director, email@example.com.
- The proposal should include specific project goals for 10-25 participants, quantity and type of materials (please include Amazon Prime web links for purchasing ahead of time), IT, and space needs.
- To watch the Girls Leadership video, see photos from last summer, or read testimonials please visit http://girlsleadership.org/overnight-summer-programs/