702 H Street, NW, #300
Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. For over fifty years, Greenpeace has fought to save the planet from the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster loom large. As an independent organization, Greenpeace does not accept funds from any corporations or government entities. Greenpeace is headquartered in the Netherlands, with offices all around the world in over fifty countries.
Greenpeace USA (GPUS) is hiring a Systems Administrator to work with the Information Technology (IT) team to design, implement and maintain IT systems for Greenpeace USA, including servers, networks, storage, software, and hardware. This position is responsible for the daily support, maintenance and troubleshooting for server-based and centralized systems, both cloud-based and on-premises. This position also supports the Solutions Team help desk for escalated tickets and projects. The Systems Administrator role is an exempt, full time role based in Washington, DC and will report to the IT Infrastructure Manager.
- Assist in the design and support of cloud-based infrastructure and local area network and storage area network in the Washington, DC office and local offices
- Develop hardware and software procurement requirements for server-based systems.
- Perform the installation and maintenance of server-based systems and related equipment.
- Manage data backup operations including nightly tape backups, off-site storage, and periodic tests of backup data integrity.
- Collaborate with the global Systems and Networks team at Greenpeace International
- Act as Tier II support for IT Solutions Team and all users, providing individual and small-group training
- Perform software and hardware maintenance of server and client systems where needed.
- Respond to user's needs and possible network failures during closed office hours, including holidays, weekends and evenings.
- Perform any other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field and least 4 years work experience with the design, installation, administration & maintenance of Linux systems.
- Expert knowledge of managing a flavor of Linux OS and shell scripting
- Experience with centralized management of Linux, Puppet or equivalent and enterprise networking
- Knowledge of web and database server management on Linux (Apache, NGINX, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
Additional qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- Puppet expertise
- Experience with Storage Area Networks and Network Attached Storage
- MySQL DBA experience
- Extensive experience Meraki and/or (classic) Cisco switches and routers
- Firewalling and advanced network and systems security concepts
- Google Cloud, AWS or similar cloud hosting experience
- VMWare or other server virtualization
- Ability to see projects through to completion in a fast paced and demanding environment on several projects at once, organized by a project manager.
- Ability to deal tactfully, professionally, and politely with IT staff and customers even in stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently and to demonstrate initiative and follow-through, while also being part of a collaborative team.
- Interest in environmental issues and knowledge of/or experience with non-profit organizations a plus.
If you want to save the world from climate change and believe in environmental justice, please submit an application on our careers page. Applications will be review on a rolling basis and will conclude once we have found the best candidate.
Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact us.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan
Minimum Education Required