Details: Salary is commensurate with years of experience, and includes an annual cost-of-living adjustment. Salary will be between $42,000 - $47,000 for this position.
101 Yesler Way
Columbia Legal Services (CLS) represents communities facing poverty and oppression, and we use every legal tool available on their behalf. CLS has a special responsibility to serve people whose access to free legal services is restricted, due to institutionalization or immigration status. Through impact litigation, policy reform, and innovative partnerships, our staff works together to further our mission to achieve social and economic justice for all, and to reveal and end actions that harm the communities we serve. We share a deep commitment to serve and advocate alongside our clients as we seek justice together.
Our vision of justice: when people have the necessary tools and opportunity to achieve social and economic justice, a more equitable and inclusive society is possible. The ideal candidate for any position at Columbia Legal Services will be able to articulate their role in the achievement of that vision.
Columbia Legal Services seeks an Accounting and Human Resources Assistant in our Central Support Office to provide administrative support and coordination, primarily with our Accounting and Human Resources departments. This position is based in our Seattle office and reports to the Controller. Duties Include:
Accounting Support (50%)
- Coordinate travel and training arrangements for 40-person staff.
- Process all relevant payables-related documents including invoices and purchase orders, and prepare all voucher packets for payment.
- Maintain the computerized accounts payable files, prepare weekly accounts payable documents, and prepare standard and/or recurring journal entries.
- Maintain subsidiary ledgers and schedules as needed.
- Process all relevant cash receipts related documents, prepare the cash deposit, and record appropriate account distributions.
- Assist with various general journal entries and reconciliations of accounts.
- File and manage accounting and human resources records in a confidential manner.
- Support and coordinate internal meetings and training's, track ongoing initiatives, schedule calls and meetings, process paperwork.
- Provide administrative support to the Controller, and assist with additional accounting projects and assignments as needed.
Human Resources & Operations Support (50%)
- Create a welcoming, professional environment, including management of front desk and office management for our Seattle office including door, phone, daily incoming mail, assistance with organizing meetings, trainings and conference calls, and coordination of seating for staff and interns.
- Manage the onboarding and offboarding process for staff and volunteers, including posting open positions, supporting the recruitment process, maintaining and updating recruitment resources, and supporting, scheduling, and monitoring onboarding and offboarding activities.
- Update, organize, and improve employee resources, processes, and manuals, such as our Administrative Procedures Manual, Internal and Board Policies, Employee Handbook, and other internal employee processes and equity initiatives.
- Recruit, interview, train, and supervise volunteers to staff the front desk and phones.
- Assist with filing, maintenance of confidential files, and overseeing the performance review process and employee engagement activities for our staff.
- A minimum of one year of demonstrated proficiency in office skills, knowledge of office protocol and procedures, and relevant experience.
- A minimum of one year of demonstrated experience with and understanding of bookkeeping and general accounting principles and internal controls, and familiarity with general accounting system operations.
- Commitment to civil legal services and demonstrated commitment to racial, social, and economic justice, cultural competence, and experience working with low-income client communities—staff members are expected to strive to understand the values, cultures, and concerns of the client communities we serve.
- The position requires excellent judgment, excellent written and oral communication skills, the ability to effectively solve problems and work independently, and strong time-management.
- Comfortable with technology and excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Applications (Word, Office365, Excel, Outlook, Windows 7, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Experience with accounting software a plus.
- Must handle issues with integrity and confidentiality, be patient and flexible, organized, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet demanding and competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills and ability to establish effective working relationships with a variety of individuals including members of various internal departments.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector a plus.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the position.
Columbia Legal Services is committed to a policy of pluralism and equal opportunity in an environment free of barriers and discriminatory practices for its client communities, Board and staff. Pluralism refers to the active promotion of mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork and productivity among people who are diverse in work background, experience, education, race, color, national origin, sex, age, religious preference, marital status, sexual orientation, sensory, mental and physical abilities, veteran status, or any other perceived differences. The resulting diversity is both a source of program strength and a matter of fundamental human fairness. If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application process, contact us at 206-464-1122 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLS offers a competitive and comprehensive compensation package including generous holiday and paid time off, excellent employee health care benefits, paid parental leave, a 35-hour-workweek, a transportation benefit, and a sabbatical every 7 years. Salary is commensurate with years of experience, and includes an annual cost-of-living adjustment. The salary range for this position will be between $42,000 - $47,000. This is a non-bargaining unit position, and is ineligible for representation by Washington Legal Workers, our in-house labor union.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Position is open until filled, with priority given to applications received before November 2nd, 2018. Please note that due to the volume of applications received, CLS is unable to respond to every application. CLS will contact you if we decide to pursue your application. If e-mailed, please make Accounting/HR Assistant your subject line. If you are interested in this position, send a cover letter, resume, and the completed Equity Statement to email@example.com or to:
Trisa Kern, Director of Program Administration
Columbia Legal Services
101 Yesler Way, Suite 300
Seattle, Washington 98104