Big Brothers Big Sisters is the premier mentoring organization in Santa Cruz County. Come join a small but mighty team focused on building one on one mentoring opportunities that ignite the power and potential of local youth. Our team is eager to bring on a Community Engagement and Events Coordinator to take our events and fundraisers to the next level while increasing awareness about and engagement with our organization.
Under general supervision of the Executive Director, the Community Engagement and Events Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of agency events, marketing and community awareness. This position has three areas of focus; planning and executing fundraising events, marketing the agency through social media and presentations and increasing overall community engagement.
This role requires orchestration and hands-on involvement in all fundraising and event activities. This position will oversee the development and management of our Bigs Council, event volunteers and support the development of corporate relationships along with solicitation of monetary and in-kind support for sponsorships, and fundraising activities.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable engaging with various stakeholders on behalf of the organization and have a strong attention to detail in addition to excellent writing and graphic design skills. This position is responsible for maintaining the organization’s social media accounts and performing the administrative duties required to be successful in this role in a timely manner.
- Articulate the mission and goals of the agency with passion and clarity.
- Lead agency communication and branding through all forms of mass media including social media.
- Plan and coordinate agency events including Bowl for Kids Sake, Day on the Monterey Bay Regatta, 40th Annual Agency Celebration, volunteer appreciation celebrations, community partner events, and match events such as holiday parties.
- Create graphics and content for agency literature, social media, press releases, newsletters, e-newsletters, flyers and additional material as needed. Work in collaboration with the Administrative Specialist to market and manage events.
- Submit PSAs and press releases to media, strengthen media relations and user generated content, coordinate Community TV ads and other commercial spots as needed.
- Recruit and support agency volunteers including our Bigs’ Council and special event volunteers.
- Develop marketing materials and displays for community festivals, business/volunteer fairs, and other presentations.
- Support corporate relationship development and secure presentations to other businesses and organizations.
- Spearhead and develop broadened recruitment efforts in South County, including corporate contacts.
- Update and maintain Recruitment and Events Manuals.
- Generate reports on social media and fundraising campaign.
- Present and provide BBBS Board reports on Bowl for Kids’ Sake, Regatta, and other events as directed.
- Perform other special tasks as assigned.
- Participate in mandatory trainings/on-going professional development/coaching in the areas of: Race and Equity, LGBTQ Competency and Support Strategies, Youth Development Best Practices, and Trauma Informed Practices.
Apply the practices and principles attained in your BBBSPS trainings/on-going professional development/coaching to all mentors, mentees, and families.
Ability to work as a team member and willingness to perform tasks outside of usual responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Related work and educational experience (examples of related work experience include prior employment at a nonprofit, and experience with fundraising, media relations, and social media content development. Examples of related educational experience include upper level marketing and other relevant courses.
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail.
- Strong and engaging communication skills (oral and written) with a variety of stakeholders in and outside of the agency.
- Communicates effectively and respectfully with people from different backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Comfortable with graphic design tools and methods. Proficiency in MS Office applications and Google Suites and using social media platforms.
- Strong storytelling skills.
- Strong attention to detail-enjoys spreadsheets, follows branding guidelines, successfully tracks and hits deadlines and agency goals.
- Ability to work independently, exercising good judgment, decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of effective outreach and fundraising techniques.
- A strong can-do attitude and desire to help the community.
- Valid driver’s license, access to an insured motor vehicle for use on the job, and valid insurance.
- Must be available for evening work and occasional weekends.
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Knowledge of donor management and stewardship principles.
- Comfortable with grant writing techniques and experienced in writing grants.
- Familiar with Santa Cruz County nonprofits and funders partially in South County.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.