The Director of JQ’s Helpline & Support Services manages and maintains JQ International’s Helpline and Helpline Staff, Inclusion Trainings, and Speakers Bureau that serve the physical, mental health, and spiritual needs of the LGBTQ+ Jewish and ally communities. This person assesses the needs of the communities served, finds resources, creates and presents inclusion trainings, trains speakers, and supervises associates, interns, and volunteers as they relate to support services. Further this person is the face of the service end of JQ’s work, representing the organization with Jewish, LGBTQ+, and secular organizations. In addition the Director provides these organizations with information of how these three services interact so that interact so that stakeholders think of JQ first when they need resources for about LGBTQ Jewish issues. Finally the Director will steward short- and long-term strategy for JQ International service offerings.
- Provides training and supervision for support services staff, associates, interns, and volunteers.
- Creates and edits text for JQ Helpline, Inclusion Training, and Speakers Bureau website pages.
- Reaches out to the Jewish, secular, and LGBTQ+ organizations to identify the ways JQ can aid them in answering the needs of their LGBTQ+ Jews and allies and provides those services to the organizations.
- Reaches out to the LGBTQ+, Jewish, and secular organizations to offer inclusion trainings and speakers on subjects that address their needs.
- Processes requests for a speaker.
- Determines the appropriate speaker for each organization.
- Integrate speakers into inclusion trainings.
- Creates and implements marketing plans for the JQ Helpline, Inclusion Trainings, and Speakers Bureau.
- Creates and presents LGBTQ+ Inclusion and Jewish informational trainings.
- Is a front line responder for calls, emails, and in-person requests.
- Evaluates and determines the purpose of the call being sure the caller receives the appropriate information.
- Seek out resources to fill the current and potential future needs of the callers.
- Updates the JQ Helpline database so that it reflects the current information about callers served and resources given.
- Creates and implements a certification program for organizations that meet the requirements of an LGBTQ+ and Jewish inclusive resource.
- Supervises Speakers Bureau Trainers
- Assesses the success of trainers to prepare speakers
- Works with trainers to continue to improve training
- Interviews people to assess their viability as speakers
- Arranges for trainings
- Assesses the progress of individual speakers to see if they are prepared to speak
- Creates and maintains Speakers Bureau on-line brochure
- Be part of team writing grants for three portfolios and tracks and completes grant reports
- Licensed Psychologist, Clinical Social Worker, Marriage and Family Therapist, or pastoral care experience preferred
- Rabbinical or Jewish educational background preferred
- 5 - 7 years experience working in social service settings or with individual clients. This to includes other helplines/hotlines/warmlines and pastoral care
- Ability to develop and teach engaging programs that inspire people to change
- Ability to carefully listen to and understand the needs of groups and individuals
- Motivational writer and speaker
- Ability to track and maintain operational records of three portfolios
- Ability to train and supervise, associates, interns and volunteers
- Proven ability to successfully handle multiple projects and meet critical deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse community groups
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of both the LGBTQ+ and Jewish communities of North America
- Flexibility to attend evening and/or weekend meetings and/or events
- Is able to work collaboratively with JQ International team
Work environment, schedule and compensation
30 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends. Flexible work environment includes JQ’s WeHo headquarters the JQlub, plus meeting and event sites throughout Greater Los Angeles. Salary commensurate with experience.