BYP100 (Black Youth Project 100) is a national, member-based organization of Black 18 to 35-year-old activists and organizers, dedicated to creating justice and freedom for all Black people. We do this through building a network focused on transformative leadership development, direct action organizing, advocacy, and political education using a Black queer feminist lens.
ABOUT THE DIGITAL STRATEGIST POSITION
BYP100 is seeking a full-time highly motivated and creative Digital Strategist to join our communications team. The Digital Strategist will bring BYP100’s work to digital audiences through a variety of platforms, channels, and media. Our ideal candidate is in love with BYP100’s mission and is ready to join a dynamic team to churn out fresh and trending content, track important data, and tell BYP100’s story at every opportunity to mobilize people across the country and advance our mission. The Digital Strategist works closely with the Communications Manager to implement creative digital strategies (including social media and web presence) nationally and locally (chapter-based) in partnership with staff, members, and board
BYP100’s national office is located in Chicago, but applicants are not required to live or move here. If hired, individuals not living within the Chicago metropolitan area will work remotely and be required to travel to/from the national and chapter offices as needed.
Reports to Communications Manager
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft and schedule social media content and manage social media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
- Track and analyze social media, email, and website data metrics to assess and inform the effectiveness of BYP100’s digital strategy and online engagement.
- Provide digital campaign strategy training and technical support to BYP100 chapters.
- Manage BYP100’s email program, including list building, management and segmentation.
- Create and/or produce digital and print content, including video, graphics, and interactive web features for a variety of audiences.
- Assist in the graphic design and production of BYP100 publications and materials, working with Communications Manager to implement formatting and layout.
- Collaboratively develop and execute a national strategic communications plan designed to educate, inform, and activate our communities to advance BYP100’s mission, programs and campaigns. This includes:
- Working with organizing team to integrate strategic communications into our overall organizing strategy.
- Collaborating with national staff, Communications Manager, chapter leaders and members to execute rapid response communications.
- Mobilizing communities through take action alerts through Action Network.
- Manage BYP100’s website and microsites (building pages, adding and editing content).
Skills & Qualifications
The ideal BYP100 Digital Strategist will have:
- High-level of comfort with digital technology, e.g. Google Docs, Microsoft Excel, Skype, and basic data management.
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities and work independently as part of a team.
- Demonstrated experience in digital communications and use of social networking tools – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. – to promote campaigns and initiatives.
- Experience building large lists of supporters for an event, organization or candidate.
- Knowledge of email marketing tools such as Action Network, and online publishing platforms such as Wordpress.
- Graphic design skills to make captivating visuals to supplement written content.
- Creative juices to help build public awareness of our organization’s story.
- Strong writing and interpersonal skills.
- Energy and excitement to work with a growing organization led by young Black people.
- Strong background in racial, LGBTQ, gender justice and social change issues.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign (or similar design and photo/video editing tools), Google Analytics, Hootsuite (or other third party systems used for developing digital metrics).
- Experience in publishing, coding (HTML and CSS), design and/or copy writing.
Starting salary range begins at $48,000 and includes a comprehensive benefits package. BYP100 pays up to $400 towards health premium, 100% of dental, short-term disability, life insurance, and offers a progressive vacation/paid time off plan (25+ days off per year).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit their resume, a short email (no more than 300 words) telling us why we should hire you for this position, two writing samples or previous examples of your work, and a list of three references to email@example.com by November 30, 2018. Please include “BYP100 Digital Strategist” in the subject line.
BYP100 is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage women, femme, LGBTQ and non-college degree holders to apply. BYP100 prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.