Details: Based on experience
91 Larkspur Street
About the Organization
Canal Alliance is a nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment. We believe everyone has the right to achieve their dreams. Every day, we educate, empower, support, and partner with motivated immigrants to best meet all their unique needs—from putting food on the table, to becoming American citizens, to learning English, to graduating from college. Because when we support immigrants, Marin becomes a place where everyone can live, work, and succeed.
Canal Alliance University Prep (UP!) is a college readiness and success program designed to support students in their journey to enroll in and graduate from a 4 year university.
The University Prep! Program Assistant provides day to day support to the afterschool program. The Program Assistant will be part of a team that supports immigrant youth on their path toward college completion, and must be a passionate believer in the power of education to improve the lives of immigrant youth and their families.
The Program Assistant is a 10 month, full-time position that reports to the Youth Education Manager. The Program Assistant supports the middle and high school programs. Work hours are Monday-Thursday 12pm-8pm, and Fridays 10am-6pm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise and support MS and HS students during program
- Support coordination of student and family field trips
- Supervise Friday enrichment classes
- Enter student achievement data into Salesforce and Excel
- Manage student attendance spreadsheet
- Manage snack set up, distribution, clean up, and storage
- Inventory snack and paper good needs and create shopping lists
- Perform other related duties as assigned/appropriate.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required.
- Effective positive discipline and classroom management skills
- Understanding of and ability to support students with middle school subject matter
- Ability to establish positive and cooperative relationships with students, families, staff, and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing
- Ability to function with minimal supervision, follow directions, pay attention to detail, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and manage stressful situations effectively
- Ability to go beyond expectations in the assignment, task, or job description without being asked
- Valid CA Driver’s License and reliable transportation required
This is a non-exempt position with benefits. We offer a competitive salary with a benefits package that includes 2 1/2 weeks paid vacation a year, 10 days of sick leave a year and 100% paid employee medical & dental insurance. In addition, there are 15 paid holidays annually, a 403(b) retirement plan and a Flex cafeteria plan.
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees.
By appreciating the importance of inclusion, we acknowledge that the collective and individual talents, skills, and perspectives of our staff foster a culture of belonging, safety, collaborative practice, innovation, and mutual respect.
Canal Alliance is committed to the transformation of attitudes and systems that deprive any person or group of these principals.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university, or pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with low-income youth or students of color (preferred)
- Spanish/English bilingual (preferred)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter. Only electronic applications will be accepted. (Keep it green!) Please indicate “UP! Program Assistant – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of your email.