1319 F Street, NW
About First Book: First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 175 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 375,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position: The Vice President of Development directs First Book’s philanthropy program for individuals and family foundations as well as Team First Book, the organization’s community-based volunteer fundraising program. This position is responsible for leading the organization’s efforts to meet established financial goals and for developing new fundraising relationships, including with major donor audiences and institutions who serve them. In partnership with First Book’s Senior Advisor of Marketing Communications, this person will also design and implement a robust calendar of fundraising campaigns across multiple channels – direct mail, email, social and peer-to-peer. The Vice President of Development leads a talented team of two full-time and one part-time staff and works closely with First Book’s entire leadership team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Meet/exceed revenue targets (>$3M annually) in a competitive fundraising environment—including creating new fundraising programs and/or reinvigorating existing programs.
· Develop a comprehensive development strategy to expand individual and family foundation giving, with a special emphasis on major gifts.
· Grow fundraising efforts focused on planned giving, donations of stocks and appreciated securities, and donor advised funds.
· Lead digital fundraising efforts including via social media, search, and other online channels.
· Plan and oversee First Book’s multi-channel calendar of fundraising campaigns in collaboration with the Marketing Communications team.
· Oversee Team First Book, the organization’s community-based fundraising program of local volunteers and peer-to-peer fundraisers.
· Serve as the business owner for the donation infrastructure, including the donor database and online giving site, supported by First Book’s IT team.
· Manage the contracted agencies and consultants, where applicable.
· Develop and mentor members of the Development team.
Education and/or Experience:
· A minimum of 7 years work experience in a senior level position
· Bachelor’s degree required
· MBA or advanced degree preferred
· Experience with donor management systems and/or prior work with Salesforce a plus
Those who thrive at First Book tend to possess these qualities:
· An entrepreneurial spirit, this is core to First Book’s DNA. Must be a tenacious self-starter.
· A passion for First Book’s mission and vision for the future.
· Strong employee and team management skills. Must work well with cross-functional teams and be able to multi-task with ease.
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
· Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
· A sense of humor. This one is required.
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Eleven Annual Holidays
- 401 K and employer matching pension contribution
- Transportation benefits
Minimum Education Required