Details: Based on experience
557 McReynolds Rd
The Discovery School is an emergent curriculum, project based preschool housed at the Bay Area Discovery Museum, utilizing child-directed curriculum and based on current educational research coming out of the Center for Childhood Creativity (CCC). We are currently seeking an inspired and experienced Substitute Preschool Teacher to work as a member of the Discovery School teaching team toward the goal of positioning the school as a nationally-recognized laboratory for the study of creative preschool education. This teacher will provide daily care and supervision of children enrolled in the program, work directly with families, and collaborate on school leadership.
The Discovery School is looking for teachers whose approach stems from an innate love and respect for children, learning, and the natural world. We favor applicants who have knowledge and experience of emergent and reflective based practice. Our program is the first licensed preschool housed within a Museum in California, and we are fortunate to offer a low student to teacher ratio, an incredibly warm parent community, and opportunities to collaborate with staff of both the Museum and the research based CCC. In addition, we are blessed with a beautiful natural setting, looking out over San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge as we step out of the classroom.
- Work with children in the classroom, including planning and preparing activities and documentation of emergent learning, transitions and circle time.
- Ensure the safety and wellbeing of all children enrolled in the program at all times.
- Maintain relationships with individual parents to support their child’s development and learning and to meaningfully engage all families in the school and museum communities.
- Assist with weekly reflections of school experiences to serve as email communication with families. This involves utilizing a composition program such as Pages or Publisher.
- Work collaboratively to collect, display and disseminate documentation of children’s work. This includes regularly taking careful observational notes and intentional photos.
- Ensure proper maintenance and cleanliness of classroom and supplies daily.
- Prepare and organize supplies, including snack.
- BA, BS, or MA preferred; Degree in education, early childhood education, child development or relevant field strongly preferred
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a preschool teacher preferred; additional experience a plus
- Minimum of 6 completed ECE units for Assistant Teacher and 12 completed ECE units for Lead Teacher
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and troubleshoot in a fast pace work environment a must.
- Must be trained or commit to being trained in First Aid, CPR and AED for adult, infant and child
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to use computer equipment required (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point,)
- Must work well with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures
- Knowledge of child development , developmentally appropriate practices and project based learning
- Flexible, good-humored, team player.
- Ability to move from place to place, work outdoors, bend and lift and carry up to 35 pounds short distances.
- LiveScan and criminal record clearance through DOJ Child Abuse Index
- Proof of absence of tuberculosis (TB) required before starting employment.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. In addition, we offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 Museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through the Museum’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should apply online at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=BADM
Applicants should be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter. Please attach your cover letter in step 2 of the online application process when prompted to attach other documents.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.